GESI and Livelihoods Specialist
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Scope of Work
USAID Tayar Nepal - Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
GESI and Livelihoods Specialist
Position: Gender Equity and Social Inclusion and Livelihoods Specialist
Type of Employment: Long Term Technical Assistance
Level of Effort: 130 days (6 months)
Period of Performance: On/about July 01 to December 31, 2020
Base of Operations: Kathmandu Office
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal– Improved Disaster Risk Management Project (Tayar Nepal) is strengthening the capacity of Nepal’s national and sub-national institutions responsible for disaster risk reduction, preparedness and response. Nationally, Tayar Nepal works with the newly created National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA) and other disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM) entities to improve how national-level systems and institutions address to all types of risks caused by natural hazards and technical disasters. Locally, Tayar Nepal works in target municipalities to enhance local DRRM capacity by working with existing and new local bodies and communities to identify and implement successful DRRM initiatives which are consistent with national level policies and guidelines
Component 3 is Tayar Nepal’s rapid response mechanism designed for rapid activation and mobilization in the event of a disaster. While originally conceptualized for use in the event of a large natural disaster such as earthquake or flood, USAID plans to activate Component 3 to enable the project to support the NDRRMA in its response to the Covid-19 pandemic which has taken hold in Nepal. The first task order is expected to focus on the following objectives:
- Prepare municipalities for the socio-economic impacts of the Covid-19 crisis
- Pilot replicable livelihood and economic support activities
- Mobilize financial resources to address urgent recovery needs
To implement the six month early economic recovery activity in twelve municipalities, Tayar Nepal needs a dedicated Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) and Livelihood Specialist to integrate GESI in the program and supervise the livelihood interventions.
The Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) and Livelihood Specialist will provide technical assistance and capacity building support to ensure that issues of gender, caste, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disabilities are meaningfully considered in the program activities under the Component 3, especially on the livelihood and economic support program through cash-for-work and cash and voucher programs.
Responsibilities and Key Tasks:
- In coordination with Component 3 team members and GESI Specialist, the GESI and Livelihood Specialist will work closely with service provider on the social and economic vulnerability impact assessment and development of municipal economic recovery plan and implementation to ensure women and marginalized groups are effectively engaged.
- Work closely with team members, grantees and subcontractors to ensure women and marginalized groups are effectively engaged in the livelihoods and economic support activities including cash based programs and assist women owned/ managed micro, small and medium enterprise (MSMEs) to get access to financing and other resources.
- Incorporate GESI-specific targets and indicators into the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) plan and learning agenda, disaggregate data by gender, caste, and age.
- Design interventions that address gender based and social disparities and create opportunities for women and marginalized groups on economic recovery such as women entrepreneurship development.
- Work with team member, grantees and subcontractors to track GESI performance in all 12 municipalities.
- Bachelor’s degree in in Social Science, Development Studies, Business Administration or equivalent. Masters degree or equivalent preferred.
- 10 years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in livelihoods and GESI related projects at the mid-level of an organization
- Ability to respond effectively and maintain discretion with most sensitive inquiries or complaints
- Experience with enterprise accounting software, and Microsoft office suite
- Demonstrated report writing skills in English is required.
- An articulate individual who possesses excellent communications and personnel management skills and who can relate to people at all levels of an organization
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and appropriate professional image
- An extremely well organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus
- Fluency in English is required
Location and Reporting
The GESI and Livelihoods Specialist will be based in Kathmandu, will work under the direct supervision of the livelihood and Social Support Specialist and in close coordination with the GESI Specialist, Component 3 technical team,cross-cutting, and operations teams.
Interested applicants should submit a CV and cover letter to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by July 1, 2020. Please mention the position in the subject line of the email you are applying for.
Women, persons with disabilities, and applicants from marginalized and disadvantaged communities are encouraged to apply.