Detailed Job description / requirements:
March 16, 2023
For 39 years, iDE has been a leader and pioneer in market-based approaches to development, helping more than thirty million people navigate their way out of poverty. We strongly believe that markets are the most powerful force for a significant, widespread, and lasting impact on rural prosperity. iDE’s mission is to create income and livelihood opportunities for poor rural households. Our track record speaks for itself as we have increased the average annual household income of the people, we reach by $220. Stemming from our own research and development, we design products and business models to give communities and rural businesses the tools to increase their incomes and improve their well-being. iDE is a 501(c)(3) non-profit based in Denver, USA, with an annual budget of $ 33.5 million, over 1,000 staff in 14 offices globally, and funding since inception from more than 150 donors. iDE currently operates 11 country programs in Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
iDE has been working in Nepal since 1992. From irrigation and good quality seeds to, more recently, rural collection centers where farmers can sell their produce, we provide simple innovations that help rural communities get out of poverty and adapt to climate change.
iDE is recruiting a Project Officer for the Paul Polak innovation fund supproted a action research project called Fecal Sludge Management (FSM) Solutions in Nepal Terai.
This program will focus in four districts of Madhesh Province, conducting action research on the status of latrines promoted, their uses and condition, the condition of the pits, and how the pit emptying practices are being followed or what households have planned to do once the pit is full, the FSM options they had considered, and their willingness to pay (and how much) for each option. Based on this study and learning from other iDE country experiences, the program will identify affordable and aspirational fecal sludge management (FSM) solutions and options for rural households. This project also aims to conduct a pilot with the goal to reveal customer behavioral preferences towards FSM, learn about seasonal impacts on FSM, and investigate the desirability of an FSM product. This pilot will include product and sales testing in addition to formative behavioral and contextual research. Further, with private sector engagement, with exploring potential for various innovative treatment options.
Position Title: Project Officer
Required No: One
Duty station: Siraha or Dhanusha
Start Date: March to December 2023
The overall responsibility of this position is to support field research and implementation of the project. Participate in research design, tool and strategy development sessions. Conduct focus group discussions, key informant interviews and household surveys. Develop, plan and pilot an appropriate FSH management business model through human centered design approach.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Initial field assessment and interaction with WASH stakeholders & local government
- Participate and in design workshop to finalize study (research) modality/questionnaires
- Provide orientation for the field research associates
- Conduct field research activities ( Key informant interview, Focus group discussion, household survey and field observation) in Mahottari, Dhanusha, Sarlahi and Saptari district.
- Identify and assessment of potential private sector for fecal sludge management
- Design and implementation of various activities in coordination with private sector partners and government/non-government stakeholders to drive and deliver the project outcomes and targets.
- Develop a business model for fecal sludge management. Develop and pilot an appropriate FSH management business model.
- Organize various informational, networking and capacity development events in the project area; data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Track and report on project implementation against DIP and fund utilization.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, economics, business management, socio-economic development, development planning, or other related fields.
- At Least 2 years’ professional work experience in the field of sanitation marketing, fecal sludge management, sanitation value chain, implementing direct field activities with emphasis on market system development and private sector engagement
- Experience in project management preferably WASH.
- Good coaching, mentoring skills, and a track record in designing and rolling out training programs for business development services.
- Strong communicator with the ability to influence diverse stakeholder groups.
- Proficiency to use standard software at an advanced level; knowledge of common ICTs and their use in data collection and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to write reports, success stories, and promotional materials.
- Knowledge of human centered design approach, sanitation marketing, fecal sludge management programs and procedures, with emphasis on monitoring and evaluation procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multicultural environment.
- Candidates must have a valid motorbike license and fluency in local languages.
- A valid motorbike license holder is preferred.
How to Apply
Submit an updated CV and Photograph mentioning the expected monthly gross salary by 5 PM, March 23, 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further process. No telephone inquiries will be entertained.
As per the gender and workforce diversity policy of iDE, female candidates and/or candidates from disadvantaged communities are highly encouraged to apply.
|Category||Development and Project|
|Posted Date||16 Mar, 2023|
|Apply Before||23 Mar, 2023|