Language Studies Department Head
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Rangjung Yeshe Institute (RYI) is an institution of higher learning in Boudhanath for those wishing to deepen their understanding of Buddhist philosophy and practice. RYI has been conducting seminars and study programs for more than 25 years. Since 2001, the Institute has worked in close partnership with Kathmandu University to manage the Kathmandu University Centre for Buddhist Studies at RYI which offers undergraduate and post-graduate degree courses in Buddhist Studies and related topics.
Position: Language Studies Department Head
Duration: Full-time work (1 year with possibility of extension)
Duty Station: On Campus
Required Number: One
Reports to: Director of Programs
Dimensions: Internal and External responsibilities
Staff reporting to this position: RYI’s language faculty and the Assistant Language Instructor Coordinator.
Position Description: The Language Studies Department Head oversees the quality of RYI’s language programs; recruits, hires and supervises language faculty; and has overall responsibility for the curriculum of the language courses. The Dept. Head is responsible for reviewing faculty performance and providing training for faculty as needed and also teaches at least one course per academic year. The Dept. Head liaises with external organizations as needed and serves on the Curriculum Committee.
External Responsibilities: Represent RYI institutionally as needed, particularly with regard to collaborations with external programs and funders in the field of language studies and translation (e.g. Tsadra Foundation, Khyentse Foundation, 84000, etc.)
Internal Responsibilities: Oversee performance of the faculty under their supervision, with respect to teaching and curriculum development and delivery. Arrange for faculty training as needed. Work closely with other departments as needed.
Key areas of accountability would entail:
Recruiting and hiring language faculty and ALIs, assigning their courses and assessing their performance.
Curriculum and program development
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• MA degree in Language Teaching, Applied Linguistics or a related field, or equivalent experience. • Minimum three year’s experience teaching in higher education
• Experience developing language curricula, pedagogical tools, and assessments
• Self-motivated, organized and responsible; diplomatic with good communication skills
• Experience speaking, reading, writing and teaching at least one of RYI’s languages: spoken or Classical Tibetan, Sanskrit, or Nepali
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• A desire to help RYI succeed in its mission and daily operations
• Supervisory experience
• Experience counselling students from diverse cultural backgrounds
• Experience working in a cross-cultural setting
Interested and competent applicants are requested to submit (i) Application letter (ii) Recent Curriculum Vitae to HR@ryi.org.
Applications are open until July 7 or until a suitable candidate is found.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.