Consultant â€“ (Senior DRRM Expert)
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - a related organization of the United Nations - is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration. It works to meet the growing operational challenges of migration, advance understanding of migration issues, encourage social and economic development through migration and uphold the well-being and human rights of migrants.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Position Title: Consultant – (Senior DRRM Expert)
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Classification: Consultant, OTHE
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 6 months
Estimated Start Dat: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 17 October 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM – The UN Migration Agency technically supported the Government of Nepal in taking forward the Government’s priority areas by contributing to the indicators of DRRM National Strategic Action Plan with the financial support from USAID/OFDA through ‘Phase I’ project. In addition, IOM aims to continue its efforts to support all three tiers of the Government in achieving its 12 years national strategies on DRRM together with SDG 2030 agenda.
To continue the momentum and build upon learning and foundations established by phase I —project, OFDA supported IOM with phase II ‘Promoting Action for Disaster Risk Governance and Working to Achieve Preparedness for Risk Reduction through Technical Assistance in Nepal (PARIWARTAN)’ project which will be implemented over the next two years i.e. 15 August 2019 till 14 August 2021. The project aims to assist the Government to enhance the disaster risk management governance at Federal, Provincial and Local levels. In order to achieve this, the project will support in strengthening the legal framework of both the provincial and local levels taking into account the roles and responsibilities of the federal, provincial as well as local governments for effective and efficient disaster prevention, preparedness, response, and recovery activities.
For this, the project will engage with the Ministry of Home Affairs (MOHA) and Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MoFAGA) or relevant line ministries, Provincial and Local Governments and assist in the implementation of the DRRM Act 2017.
To achieve its targeted objective, the project envisages a senior national expert who has experience on Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) and will further provide support to the Government of Nepal mainly National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDMA) for effective implementation of National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Policy 2018 and DRRM National Strategic Plan of Action 2018-2030 in line with DRRM Act 2017. Therefore, under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Head of Program Unit and in close coordination with the Program Unit of IOM the Senior DRRM Advisor will provide technical support to Government of Nepal in the essence of IOM’s support for effective implementation of DRRM Act for building resilient communities. The expert/Senior DRRM Advisor will consolidate comments/feedbacks from Provincial and Local Governments and other experts/stakeholders and support to clarify the roles, responsibilities and gaps between the different levels of DRRM governing bodies in Nepal with ideas to avoid duplication of activities at the Provincial and Local level. Furthermore, he/she will facilitate meetings, liaise with other Government partners and international experts to expedite the activities of NDMA.
The expert/Senior DRRM Advisor will also work with the Provincial Governments of all seven provinces and provide key technical inputs and contribute towards the establishment of Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority.
To provide expert advice and guidance in supporting the Federal and Provincial Government by providing key technical inputs to NDRRMA as well as in the operationalization of DRRM Act, 2017 and contribute towards the establishment of Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority.
Scope of work:
- Support and provide expert advice in drafting DRRM legislative documents, strategies and guidelines and support in formation of Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority at all seven provinces of Nepal.
- Support to develop strategic action plan and operationalization of NDMA.
- Provide technical assistance and advice to officials of the Government of Nepal mainly officials of NDMA for effective functioning and implementation of DRRM National Policy 2018, DRRM Strategic Plan of Action 2018-2030 as envisioned by DRRM Act 2017.
- Facilitate High level Political Dialogues with Members of the Federal and Provincial Parliament, In house consultations and Provincial Inter-ministerial workshops for effective DRRM in Nepal and advocate the issue with major political parties.
- Provide technical suggestions to project's media team on the approach and modality of media advocacy and awareness at Federal, Provincial, Local and Community level.
- Assist the Government/NDMA/PDMA to clarify the roles, responsibilities and gaps between the different levels of disaster management committees and provide expert advice to avoid duplication of activities at the local level.
Tangible and measurable output of the work assignment:
- A concept paper with strategy and modality for technical assistance to NDMA-by 4 months of project period.
- Support in drafting DRRM legislative documents, guidelines for Provincial Governments – by 6 months of project period
- Draft of an operational strategy for the PDRRMA for all provinces – by 6 months of project period.
- Meeting reports – monthly
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Advance degree in Disaster Management, Development, Social Sciences, or Public policy or any other relevant disciplines.
- At least 15 years’ experience of working with High Level Government officials, Parliamentarians, Ministries, Provincial and Local Governments of Nepal in the sector of DRRM.
- Excellent understanding of federalization in Nepal and in depth knowledge of Provincial and Municipal level Government structures.
- Knowledge on DRRM situation in Nepal and its integration in the federal structure.
- Proven experience of working in DRRM policy documents like DRRM laws, bylaws, strategies and guidelines at Federal and Provincial level.
- Excellent facilitation skills, along with ability to liaise with Federal and Provincial Ministries/other Government institutions, partners and international experts.
- Excellent ability to liaise with Provincial Government mainly with Chief Minister's office and Ministry for Internal Affairs and Law.
- Proven knowledge on the roles, responsibilities and gaps between the different levels of DRRM governing bodies in Nepal with ideas to avoid duplication of activities at the Provincial and Local level.
- Proven experience in gender analysis and mainstreaming.
- Abilities to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical, writing, editing and communication skills.
- Any other responsibilities assigned by the Head of Program Unit.
Fluency in English and Nepali is required.
The consultant must adhere to the IOM Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates are invited to submit their application referring to this advertisement with CV and three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to email@example.com by 17 October 2019.