Terms of Reference(TOR) for Photographer and Editor
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Terms of Reference for Photographer and Editor (TOR)
Contract period: October 30th to December 11th, 2023
1. Background to VSO
VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas) has been working in Nepal since 1964 with the aim of improving lives of impoverished people, particularly focusing on marginalized groups, vulnerable women, and girls. VSO places people at the center of its working philosophy. People are the key to overcoming poverty, and that is why we work through Volunteering for Development Approach that people are empowered, public services are inclusive and accessible and decision makers are held to account. One of our key strengths is our ability to work at the community level where the needs are the greatest, sharing skills and experience strategically with people and organizations with the potential to contribute to development in Nepal effectively.
2. Background and rationale:
Gender Based Violence Prevention and Response Phase II (GBVPR II)
Funded by SDC and RNE and supported by UNFPA, VSO has been implementing prevention component of the project named “Gender Based Violence Prevention and Response Phase II” that works towards prevention of violence against women and girls in Koshi Province and Sudurpashchim Province. PeaceWin from Sudurpashchim and CoCoN from Koshi Province are VSO’s implementing partners who execute all field plans and activities to achieve envisioned targets. The project targets primary actors comprised of married couples, family members, adolescents, CBO members, opinion leaders, government officials and young facilitators who are intervened through activities based on gender transformative approach. In total, 57,375 primary actors will be directly reached through project activities while many more will be reached indirectly.
Since the start of the project, there have already been changes observed in the project’s primary actors. Hence, to share the best practices and impact of the project, the team has planned to gather quality photographs of primary actors and volunteers and prepare the selected case stories to diffuse the best practices of GBVPRII to broader audiences.
The target audiences of the case stories will be the primary actors of VSO, donor communities, development practitioners/organizations, government stakeholders and the GBVPRII consortium team.
SCOPE OF WORK:
VSO Nepal is seeking an expert consultant/firm to organize the quality delivery of the case stories in English and Nepali language and deliver quality photographs of primary actors who are main subject of the case stories.
Under direct supervision of VSO Nepal dedicated staff, the consultant/firm will be responsible for ensuring the finalization of proofread case stories, meet the VSO case story guidelines, and design, which will be later published and disseminated.
- The consultant/firm will produce 16 case stories and ensure it will attract readers and capture the essence of the story including theme-based photos for the same.
- Ensure that the case stories and photographs meet the VSO case story guidelines and the branding guidelines.
- The consultant/firm will take at least 5-6 pictures of each case story subject to ensure the project team has choices. This means, about 100 quality pictures will be delivered as part of the assignment.
- Contact the primary actors for further information and data wherever necessary.
- Deliver any other tasks related to the assignment delegated by the VSO Nepal such as a few video clips. Specific details will be given in the brief.
The assignment is based on selected districts from Koshi province and the Sudurpaschim province.
Management/ Consultant team are required to set out their approach to ensuring complete compliance with international good practice regarding ethics and protocols, particularly regarding safeguarding children and vulnerable groups. Consideration should be given to:
- Administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect in the event.
- Data protection and secure maintenance procedures for personal information.
- The product cannot be used by the photographer for their own use. If needed, they need to contact VSO.
5. Approach and Methodology:
The photos include portrait shots as well as others which capture some movement based on the story. The specifics will be provided in the brief.
6. Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience working on story-based assignments.
- Strong experience in interview skills and information management.
- Demonstrable at least 5 years prior experience in photographing.
- Provide at least 5 samples of photographs of different themes.
- For individual consultants, preferably a bachelor’s degree in mass communication, arts, journalism, photography, or any other relevant field.
- Strong track record of preparing case stories, relevant English and Nepali publications, and reports to international development organizations. Provide at least one sample of each case story, publication, and report.
- Demonstrated expertise in editorial engagement in English and Nepali literature, news, and reports.
- Excellent English language skills (verbal and written).
7. Deliverables and Schedule:
The duration of the service contract will be from 30th October to 11th December 2023 with a total of 16 working days. The timeline can be extended if there is a need.
The tentative timeframe shall look like below:
The dates can be changed later if necessary.
8. Roles and responsibilities:
VSO will provide the following arrangements for the assignment.
- Sixteen draft case stories (soft copies) that cover the best practices of key project interventions and the specifications of the type of pictures expected. Ideally, two case stories will be from selected working districts.
- Preparatory meeting and orientation about the project, activities, and primary actor profiles.
- Relevant publications, knowledge, and evidence products.
- Contact information of partners or primary actors if required.
Reporting and coordination
The consultant/firm will work closely with VSO’s Learning and Communication National Volunteer and report to the VSO’s M&E Manager. In addition, the consultant/firm will coordinate with VSO’s implementing partner in both provinces, especially during field visits.
The total budget of this assignment will be provided in three installments as mentioned below:
- First Instalment: 30% after submission of the work plan and inception report in agreement with VSO.
- Second Instalment: 30% after submission of photographs from 1st fieldwork, satisfactory to VSO and first draft of edited 16 case stories.
- Third Instalment: 40% after submission of the final photographs and final version of 16 case stories, satisfactory to VSO
The financial proposal should be inclusive of all taxes. Travel expenses will be covered by VSO and thus should not be included in the financial proposal. The consultant/firm will need to submit bills and invoices of all traveling expenses to VSO for cost eligibility. It is to be ensured that all bills and invoices submitted are VAT bills. Payment will be made after completion of the assignment and deliverable approved by VSO and submission of a payment request along with the Invoice. VSO will pay the amount to the firm in installments as specified above. The tax will be deducted from the total as per the rule of the Government of Nepal.
10. Application Procedure
Consultants (individuals/firms) are required to submit the following:
- Letter of interest.
- Technical Proposal with samples as mentioned in section 6.
- Financial Proposal with detailed breakdowns.
- CV/s of professional personnel proposed (photographer and editor) for the assignments.
- Copy of Company registration certificate (not necessary if you are an individual applicant)
- Copy of VAT registration certificate.
- Tax clearance certificate of FY 2079/80 (If obtained) or Tax clearance certificate of FY 2078/79.
- Company profile/ portfolio.
Technical and Financial documents should be submitted in a separate sealed envelope. The value of the technical and financial proposals will be evaluated at a ratio of 60:40 respectively.
Proposals must be submitted to an email: Procurement.email@example.com by 5 PM of 9th October 2023.