Terms of Reference "E-course developer for Gender and Sexuality"
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Blue Diamond Society (BDS) is Nepal’s leading pioneer non-government community-led and driven organization which aims of promoting sexual health rights and human rights of LGBTI community of Nepal. BDS has a strong network of 25 CBOs in 7 provinces of Nepal. BDS is committed to create a society in which sexual and gender minorities (SGM) can live with equal rights, freedom, dignity and a full range of opportunities by addressing human rights violation, inequality, stigma & discrimination, lack of access to education, employment and healthcare services including prevention of HIV and AIDS & STI, care and treatment, support for humanitarian crisis for sexual and gender minorities people including MSMs and transgender.
The Right Here Right Now 2 (RHRN2) platform in Nepal is a coalition of like-minded organizations that includes Yuwa, Beyond Beijing Committee, and Blue Diamond Society working together for the advancement of Comprehensive Sexuality Education in Nepal.
Overview of the assignment
BDS is seeking an online course developer (individual/firm) on the subject area of Gender and Sexuality to work collaboratively with the program staff to develop, deliver, and iteratively update the course using educational technology and multimedia production. The primary duties for the position include instructional design, course development, and technology implementation.
To fill up the gap in knowledge in regards to gender and sexuality, BDS under Right Here Right Now Nepal wants to develop an online course on Gender and Sexuality through which young people and adults can better understand the concept of Gender and Sexuality as well as develop: accurate and age- appropriate knowledge, attitudes and skills; positive values, including respect for human rights, gender equality and diversity, and, attitudes and skills that contribute to safe, healthy, positive relationships.
With this course we want the audience to understand that, Gender and Sexuality is important as it can help young people reflect on social norms, cultural values and traditional beliefs, in order to better understand and manage their relationships with peers, parents, teachers, other adults and their communities.
The course should cover the following contents; however, the consultant/consulting firm can add or review the contents as required.
- Introduction to Gender and Sexuality
- Value clarification of the terms related to SOGIESC community
- Social norms and its effect in the SOGIESC community
- Laws and policies directly affecting SOGIESC community
- National and International forums on human rights mechanism
- Stories of change (SOGIESC focused)
- What needs to change/reformed (norms, laws and policies, KAP)
- What you can do to support the movement
Who is the course for?
This course will be designed primarily for young people aged 15 - 29, but anyone above 15 can enroll for the course.
Overall course objective
At the end of this course, the participant should be able to:
- Have an overall general knowledge about Gender and Sexuality, its need and importance.
- Have changed the attitudes, skills and values to make appropriate and healthy choices in their sexual lives.
- Develop, Design and Launch an online course on Gender and Sexuality
- Provide testing and facilitation mechanisms
- Provide knowledge check questions in between topics
- Curate a pre and posttest for the entire course
- The content of the e-course should be in both English and Nepali language.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Submit first draft course map, including weekly topics, objectives and schedule for major course assignments
- Consider how to translate typical course activities to maximize affordances of online environment and maximize student interaction
- Determine overall strategies for content delivery, instructional activities, and assessment
- Identify appropriate technologies and pursue required technical training
- Develop a schedule for course development
- Complete detailed course map that identifies all components to each module: existing content, content to be produced, assignments, assessment activities
- Develop explanation of how the course “works,” communication expectations & guidelines, and ways to get help
- Identify revisions for second iteration
Essential and Relevant Experience:
- University degree in social sciences or relevant discipline with 3-5 years of working experience in Comprehensive Sexuality Education.
- Works from a Human Rights Based approach and Evidence Based Approach
- Has a progressive stance on sexual and reproductive health and rights, specifically young people’s sexual rights and diversity
- Is youth-friendly and has non-discriminatory attitudes towards working with young people
- Strong writing skills with ability to present in a style that is accessible to readers
- Proficiency both in English and Nepali
1. Letter of Interest (Cover Letter) and an updated Curriculum Vitae of the consultant and team members
2. If the application is being submitted on behalf of a firm, company registration, VAT registration, Tax clearance of latest year, company profile should be submitted.
3. Sample of one or two previous consultancy reports produced by the individual consultants/ firm
4. Detailed draft assignment plan consisting of:
- Description and roles of team members
- Work plan/time frame including methodology and deliverables
- Budget breakdown
HOW TO APPLY
Interested individuals/firms are requested to submit their application with the title “E-course developer for Gender and Sexuality” at firstname.lastname@example.org by 18th August 2022, 5 PM. BDS shall contact only the shortlisted candidates for the further process.
*Note: Check out the e-course on CSE developed by Yuwa Nepal, https://lms.yuwa.org.np/ for your reference. Also, the final deliverable should be submitted by end of November 2022.