Senior Psychosocial Counselor
Transcultural Psychosocial Organization Nepal (TPO Nepal) is one of Nepal’s leading psychosocial organization. It was established in 2005 with the aim of promoting psychosocial well-being and mental health of children and families in conflict affected and other vulnerable communities through the development of sustainable, culturally-appropriate, and community-based psychosocial support systems. TPO Nepal is a knowledge-driven, innovative organization working in areas disrupted by violence and poverty. We strive to develop local psychosocial, mental health and conflict resolution capacity and systems that promote community resilience, quality of life and self-reliance through education, research, service delivery and advocacy.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Psychosocial Organization Nepal (TPO Nepal) is one of Nepal’s leading
organizations in psychosocial and mental health support. It was established in
2005 with the aim of promoting the psychosocial well-being and mental health of
people in need through the development of sustainable, culturally-appropriate,
and community-based mental health and psychosocial support systems.
Currently, TPO Nepal has been operating a 24-hour helpline service for suicide prevention in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO), Lagankhel Mental Hospital, and the Ministry of Health and Population.
We are looking for dynamic, committed, and result-oriented candidates to join our helpline team as below.
1. Position: Senior Psychosocial Counselor
No. of vacancies: 2 (Two)
Location: based in Mental Hospital, Lagankhel
Duration: 6 months (possibility of extension)
Starting date: At the earliest
The Senior Psychosocial Counselor will be responsible for the following duties but are not limited to:
- Operationalization of suicide prevention helpline service as per the Standard Operating Procedure for operationalization of suicide prevention helpline which is operated 24/7.
- Offer a range of services, including individual assessment, first-level response, and appropriate psychosocial support for the individual seeking support through the helpline service.
- Conduct group sessions for suicide survivors and postvention sessions.
- Ensure proper linkage and referral to available support and services and maintain a high level of privacy and confidentiality.
- Maintain a systematic record and report of individuals seeking care, including the nature of services being delivered over the helpline.
- Conduct regular group orientation sessions.
- Mobilize volunteers and interns, support and mentor them to operate the helpline number.
- Seek periodic clinical supervision and mentoring from the case manager and experts.
- Report directly to the Project Coordinator and Case Manager.
- Provide services in other virtual platforms such as online chat, messenger, Zoom, etc.
- Follow the inputs and additional responsibilities provided by the Project Coordinator when it comes to the strategic benefits of the project and organization.
Qualification, Skills, and Experience:
- The candidate must preferably have an MA in Clinical Psychology/Master of Counseling Psychology with at least two years of work experience in psychosocial and mental health.
- Enthusiasm to learn new things and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Able to prepare reports on the computer and maintain a database.
- Able to provide counseling support in-person and online for individuals, suicide survivors, and groups.
- Willingness to work in a helpline service in a hospital setting and with individuals with suicidality, as per the roster prepared for the operationalization of helpline 24/7.
- Priority will be given to those who have experience working with vulnerable populations, specifically individuals and communities with suicidal behaviors.
- Must have fluency in English, Nepali, and Hindi languages, both written and spoken. Preferred additional language (spoken in Nepal) skills.
- Preferred health background.
Interested, qualified, and motivated candidates meeting the aforementioned requirements are encouraged to apply along with a cover letter, updated resume (CV), and expected salary to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4th June 2023.
Only short-listed candidates will be informed for the further selection process. Any activity intended to influence the selection process will lead to disqualification. All the selected candidates will undergo rigorous background checks.
TPO Nepal is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. TPO Nepal does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination.