The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - a related organization of the United Nations - is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration. It works to meet the growing operational challenges of migration, advance understanding of migration issues, encourage social and economic development through migration and uphold the well-being and human rights of migrants.
Details / requirements:
Vacancy Notice No: SVN#NP/04/2023
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Project Assistant
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Classification: General Service, G-5
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: December 06, 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract and staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP).
United Nations- International Organization for Migration is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture amongst others. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
United Nations, International Organization for Migration has a zero-tolerance against Sexual exploitation and Abuse (SEA) and sexual harassment (SH). Everyone is responsible for preventing sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA), and all UN personnel must adhere to the standards of conduct that preserves PSEA principles (both during work hours and outside work hours). All selected candidates will, therefore, go through a safe hiring process.
Under the overall Supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the National Program Officer/ Head of Migration, Environment, Climate Change and Risk Reduction Division the incumbent will be responsible for assisting in implementation of activities of ‘Strengthening Institutional Knowledge and Capacity of Provincial and Local Government to Embark on Disaster Risk Management Action and Implementation’ (SIKAI) project on disaster risk reduction and management in IOM country office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Work in close coordination with the Project lead of SIKAI project and support implementing and assuring quality of day-to-day activities on the project at the provincial and local levels.
- Support in coordinating with government officials at the federal and provincial level for planning and monitoring of the project activities.
- Send invitations to government officials from the federal level to provincial events as required.
- Track project budget and expenditure and coordinate with finance unit for troubleshooting of budget related issues.
- In close coordination with the National Program Officer, support in designing of the new concept notes and proposal on emergency and post crisis; disaster risk reduction and management, climate change and migration.
- In coordination with the National Program Officer, provide strategic, technical and monitoring support in capacity building activities for the Government of Nepal in IOM’s initiatives relating to its interventions. And, report the existing trends, needs, challenges and opportunities.
- In coordination with National Program Officer, provide support to create synergies with existing networks of Government of Nepal, UN agencies, civil society organizations and other relevant stakeholders and inform the National Program Officer about any challenges, opportunities or unexpected changes of the context, if any.
- In coordination with the National Program Officer, support the project team in developing project’s results monitoring framework and tracking and reporting progress, including quantitative data segregated by gender and age.
- Provide support in reviewing the draft policy recommendation developed by the consultant in coordination with project lead to ensure the mainstreaming of disaster mainstreaming in the periodic plans.
- In coordination with the National Program Officer, support the project lead and provincial focal points to plan and execute inter-ministerial coordination platform meetings and Provincial Planning Commission to be conducted in Karnali and Sudur Pashchim Province.
- Support the project team in preparing project reports, case stories and visibility products.
- Travel to the project areas as required and provide technical assistance in conducting events.
- Performs other duties as maybe assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Baclelor’s degree, preferably in disaster management, migration studies, development studies from accredited Institute with a minimum three years of relevant professional experience.
- High School degree from accredited Institution with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working with UN agencies will be an advantage.
- Experience of developing quality reports.
- Experience working with local governments will be an asset.
- Experience in facilitating capacity development trainings to the government agencies.
- Experience developing knowledge products, concept notes and proposals.
- Attention to detail and ability to organize.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Nepali typing will be an advantage.
- Report writing and proposal development skills.
- Communication and coordination skills.
- Leadership skills.
Fluency in English and Nepali (oral and written).
VALUES - All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
CORE COMPETENCIES - Behavioural indicators – Level 1
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to email@example.com by 06 December 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be called for interview.
From 22.11.2023 to 06.12.2023