Private Sector Engagement Specialist
DAI was founded in 1970 by three graduates of Harvard Universityâ€™s Kennedy School of Government intent on providing a more dynamic and effective brand of development assistance. This entrepreneurial approach would look beyond traditional philanthropy to embrace the virtues of the private sector, and build a company that delivers social and economic development on a competitive, cost-effective, best-value basisâ€”a social enterprise that is self-sustaining because it is profitable. Employee-owned DAI is now a global development company with a record of delivering results in 160 countries. But it remains today what it was as a start-up: innovative, alert, self-critical, and forward-lookingâ€”and driven by a powerful sense of corporate purpose. Our mission remains essentially unchanged from the days of the founders. Job Opportunities DAI offers rewarding career opportunities for talented technical, managerial, and support professionals. By providing challenging assignments, a commitment to professional development, managerial systems based on teamwork, and an ownership stake in the company, we attract and retain high-caliber staff. Our workforce reflects a cultural diversity that gives us a broad spectrum of backgrounds and perspectives. www.dai.com
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Private Sector Engagement Specialist
USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Scope of Work
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments. More information about DAI can be found on the DAI website ( www.dai.com ).
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Project will strengthen the capacity of Nepal’s national, provincial and municipal institutions responsible for disaster risk reduction, preparedness and response. In a country prone to a myriad of natural disasters, at the national level Tayar Nepal will build the capacity of disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM) institutions, including the newly created National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA). Locally, Tayar will support eight urban municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans (RSLUP) and then support the prioritization and implementation of a set of technical assistance packages improve disaster resilience. In the event of a disaster over the life of the five-year project, USAID/Nepal may engage the program’s rapid emergency response mechanism. Tayar will work closely with the Government of Nepal and Nepali emergency responders to mobilize technical assistance, commodity support, small-scale infrastructure, and information management support. Tayar will apply lessons learned from disaster risk reduction and response efforts to improve national-level DRM systems and municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
Summary of Primary Duties
Private sector investment can play significant role not only in reducing existing disaster risks but also largely contributing to prevent creation of new disaster risks. Such investment could promote on the disaster risk reduction and resilience building of infrastructure development, increased productivity and creation of sustainable employment including in enhancing the response capacity. The Private Sector Engagement Specialist will lead and manage the implementation of the Private Sector thematic activities: -strategies development, projects and activities planning, reporting, developing annual work plan, budget management in collaboration with relevant project managers.
Essential Duties to be performed at national level or at Tayar Nepal project implementation municipality:
- Create partnerships between government representatives, development partners and private sector partners
- Support to develop necessary strategy for the private sector, bank and financial institutions, insurance company, micro finance and cooperatives to encourage them for the investment on disaster risk reduction and management.
- Promote to develop necessary mechanism for insurance of crops, livestock and business/livelihood for risk sharing and risk transfer of vulnerable communities with easily accessible.
- Support to develop strategy for disaster affected community to provide soft loan from banks and financial institutions.
- Support Tayar’s efforts to scale up micro-credit schemes for safe building updates
- Design inclusive programs such as training female masons in safe construction techniques or co-financing low-cost weather stations with agribusiness to yield early warning for risk reduction and improved information for farmers.
- Integrate private sector into design of technical assistance packages for municipalities
- Support Tayar Nepal efforts to promote public-private dialogue and collaboration on DRRM issues
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience, including experience in the private sector building partnerships and relationships with the private and public sector for NGOs and donor-funded projects
- Experience in private sector engagement in social sector including DRRM in Nepal and Corporate Social Responsibility – self-regulating business model that helps the company be socially accountable
- Experience working with national and sub-national levels business associations such as FNCCI, banking sectors, micro finance and cooperative, insurance companies, builders and construction sectors.
- University degree in relevant field required. Masters preferred
Location and Reporting
The Private Sector Engagement Specialist will be based in Kathmandu with frequent travel to the eight selected municipalities across Nepal and will report to the DRM Governance Specialist.
Interested applicants should submit a CV and cover letter to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by November 23, 2019. Please mention the position in the subject line of the email.