Policy and Regulation Consultant
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Scope of Work: Policy and Regulation Consultant
LOE: Not to exceed 160 hours
To apply: send CV, letter of interest, and a writing sample to JobsNepal@lwr.org
Apply by date: May 6, 2021
Lutheran World Relief (LWR) is recruiting for a short-term consultant, based in Nepal, to support market systems analysis for an anticipated agriculture and market systems activity. Reporting to the Manager, Business Development and the Director, Innovation & Learning, the consultant will lead and support intel gathering for the USAID Nepal Feed the Future Agricultural Inputs and Market Systems Activity. This Activity will seek to improve the productivity, competitiveness, inclusivity, and resilience of Nepal’s agriculture sector by increasing the availability and accessibility of four critical inputs: improved seed, fertilizer, irrigation, and agricultural equipment.
The consultant will provide technical expertise on policy and regulatory frameworks relevant to the Agricultural Inputs and Market Systems activity in Nepal. This includes leading desk research and key informant interviews on policies that impact agricultural inputs and market systems. The consultant will meet regularly with LWR staff members to provide timely updates and information. The consultant may also provide technical expertise on policy and regulatory frameworks related to:
- Access to finance
- Digital technology
- Gender and Social Inclusion
- A summary report of desk research related to the project scope.
- Notes on key informant interviews.
- Written responses to questions provided by LWR staff members.
- A final list of deliverables will be agreed upon contract signature. Deliverables will be due by June 2021. Exact deliverable date(s) to be determined upon contract signature.
Expected duration of the assignment: not to exceed one month, starting in May 2021.
- Deep professional experience and networks in the policy sector, with 10-15 years of relevant experience with the Nepal government, private sector, academia or civil society preferred.
- Deep understanding of policy, with ability to clearly identify how economic and regulatory policies influence key actors from marginalized farmers to large input producers or importers.
- Experience with the following preferred:
- Policy review
- Agriculture policy and governance
- Strong knowledge of regulatory environment in Nepal
- Familiarity with USAID
- Experience contributing to development of relevant policy or regulations a plus.
- Master’s degree or higher in agriculture, agribusiness, agriculture economics, policy, government or related field.
- Ability to quickly absorb a large quantify of information and communicate both verbally and in written form concise, highly relevant and useful answers and recommendations to key questions.