The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - a related organization of the United Nations - is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration. It works to meet the growing operational challenges of migration, advance understanding of migration issues, encourage social and economic development through migration and uphold the well-being and human rights of migrants.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
The International Organization for Migration is seeking qualified Nepali Nationals for the following position based in Kathmandu.
Under the overall guidance of the IOM Nepal Emergency Health Team Leader the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the IOM 20-bed Step Down Care Facility in Sindhupalchowk and Assisted Discharge and Referral Service. This position will be based in Kathmandu with 10 working days a month stationed in at the IOM District Hub Office in Chautara, Sindhupalchowk.
Vacancy Notice No: SVN#NP/23/15
Position Title: Medical Coordinator– Injury and Rehabilitation
Duty Station: Kathmandu, with frequent travel (up to 50%)
Classification: Ungraded SST contract, 6 months with possibility of extension
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the management of the IOM 20-bed step down care facility in Chautara, Sindhupalchowk and associated services
- Training of the staff in patient management, referral pathways and operations of the step down care facility.
- Assist the Emergency Health Team Leader to facilitate the health referrals for earthquake-affected patients in need of further health care services and/or provide support for the assisted returns of patients ready for discharge and their family members to their settlements of choice
- Assist in coordinating patient selection, referral process and establish short mid-, and long-term plans of action as the situation requires
- Ensure fitness to travel of patients, proper patient transfer procedures are followed including communicating relevant information to health authorities and family members, NGOs for orderly returns, arranging medical escorts and pre-transport checks as needed
- Liaise/coordinate with local health authorities (including the District Health Office), national and international partner health and disability agencies to ensure IOM’s plans of action complement the actions of others and fit well within the national health and disability plans. In this respect, attend coordination and inter-agency meetings
- Assist the Emergency Health Team Leader in the development early recovery and migration health projects
- Participate in coordination meetings with partner agencies
- Act as translator and/or interpreter as needed
- Other duties assigned
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- University degree in Medicine (MBBS); at least two years of experience as a medical officer, general practice and/or family medicine; or Master’s degree
- Experience in orthopaedics or rehabilitation medicine is highly desired
- Independent program management skills, such as supervision capacity, report writing
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, personal commitment, efficiency and flexibility
- Computer literate
- Ability to work effectively
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to email@example.com by 15 December 2015. Only short listed candidates will be called for interview.