Detailed Job description / requirements:
Position: LISA Consultants
Location: 15 Palikas in Sudur Paschim and Province Five
Project: Nepal Sajhedari - Support to Federalism
Point of Contact: Government Strengthening Lead
About the Position:
Abt Associates, under the Nepal Sajhedari – Support to Federalism Project (STF) is looking for a Consultant to conduct “Local Institutional Self-Assessment in STF-focused Palikas”.
About Abt Associates Inc.:
Abt Associates is an engine for social impact, fueled by caring, curiosity and cutting-edge research that moves people from vulnerability to security. Whether it's welfare or weather disasters, the environment or economics, agriculture or HIV and AIDS, we address the world's most pressing issues. Abt Associates’ International Development Division (IDD) manages projects that are pioneering new approaches in governance, health, agriculture, food security, climate change, and competitiveness. We work throughout Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East for various clients, including the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, among others.
Background on USAID/Nepal’s Sajhedari – Support to Federalism (STF):
The goal of the USAID-funded Sajhedari - Support to Federalism (STF) project, implemented by Abt Associates is to provide technical assistance to the Government of Nepal (GoN) in transitioning from a unitary state to a federation of provinces with more effective, accountable, responsive and inclusive local governance. The objectives of STF are: (1) The GoN creates and implements sound policies and legislation that are informed by evidence, and empower, finance, and regulate provincial and municipal governments; (2) Targeted provinces and municipal governments are more responsive, inclusive, accountable, transparent, and effective in decision making and delivering priority services to fulfilling core legal responsibilities; and (3) Citizens and civil society organizations in targeted geographic areas, including the historically marginalized, actively participate local decision-making and oversight.
Objectives of the Assessment
One of the project objectives, i.e. Objective Two, focuses on increasing responsiveness, accountability, transparency and effectiveness in the local level decision making so that governments are able to deliver priority services. To help design appropriate strategies that facilitate STF support in identifying the challenges and opportunities of internal capacity, systems and delivery of services, a capacity needs assessment of STF- focused Palikas is felt necessary. Since the federal government is piloting, and is likely to be adopted as a regular capacity assessment and performance evaluation tool, STF plans to conduct Local Institutional Self-Assessment (LISA) in 15 Palikas in Sudur Paschim and Province Five. LISA is expected to provide local levels an interactive, yet evidence-based, approach in reflecting how they are performing in the core governance areas, including service delivery and citizen participation. The LISA report will lay the foundation of capacity building, policy formulation and implementation, and citizen participation activities under STF.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
Under the guidance and coordination of Government Strengthening Lead, STF is seeking for consultants. The consultants are required to:
- Coordinate with MoFAGA and relevant local level government and seek their consent and access to the information required for LISA. The consultants must use the MoFAGA-endorsed LISA guideline/template as the foundation;
- Based on the consultant with MoFAGA and selected Palikas, prepare and submit inception plan/report consisting of methodologies and field movement plan;
- In consultation with Sajhedari, and MoFAGA where applicable, review the methodologies and add/modify checklist that incorporates indicators focusing on capacity gap, citizen participation, intergovernmental coordination, GESI and revenue generation/mobilization;
- Conduct LISA in coordination with Sajhedari;
- Prepare and submit draft and final LISA report including a) any additional chapters covering the areas highlighted in number 3, b) recommendations.
The Consultants are expected to deliver the following:
- Inception Report for the consultancy
- A finalized LISA methodology and handbook for implementation
- A draft assessment report of the findings (in Nepali and in English)
- A final assessment report of the findings (in Nepali and in English)
Level of Effort and Timeline:
The expected level of effort to conduct the study would be maximum 65 days covering a period of three months, starting from 1st week of February. Consultants may propose working as a team, to divide the required LOE. The assignment will be conducted in Kathmandu and in 15 Palikas. Sajhedari will provide the list of Palikas before the commencement of consultancy work.
Reporting and Coordination:
The consultant will report to the Government Strengthening Lead and coordinate with other team members as applicable including the field based staff in the Palikas.
Required Qualification and Skills:
The consultants should have the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience in the capacity and performance assessment of local level governments, preferably LISA, in coordination with MoFAGA and local level governments;
- At least 10 years’ experience in decentralization, capacity gaps/needs assessment, public finance management, public service delivery, and in related fields;
- Should have at least masters’ degree in public policy, economics, political science, statistics, or in related discipline;
- Proven experience in dealing/working with senior and mid-level government officials, elected representatives and civil society;
- Knowledge of Nepal’s federalization process, intergovernmental relations and fiscal federalism;
- Should have excellent facilitation, inter-personal, and reporting skills, both in Nepali and in English; and
- Should be willing to adapt to the changing operational context.
Qualified applicants should submit a CV with contact information to NepalJobs@Abtassoc.com with Consultants-LISA in the subject line. Deadline is January 26, 2020. We appreciate all applicants for their interest but only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.