Detailed Job description / requirements:
Scope of Work
USAID Tayar Nepal - Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist (GESI) Specialist
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Management Project is strengthening the capacity of Nepal’s national, provincial and municipal institutions responsible for disaster risk reduction, preparedness and response. At the national level Tayar Nepal is building the capacity of disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM) institutions, including the newly created National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Agency (NDRRMA). Locally, Tayar Nepal supports eight urban municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans and then support the prioritization and implementation of a set of technical assistance packages improve disaster resilience. In the event of a disaster over the life of the five-year project, USAID/Nepal may engage the program’s rapid emergency response mechanism. Tayar Nepal works closely with the Government of Nepal and Nepali emergency responders to mobilize technical assistance, commodity support, small-scale infrastructure, and information management support. Tayar Nepal applies lessons learned from disaster response efforts to improve national-level DRM systems and municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
The Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Specialist will provide technical assistance and capacity building support to ensure that issues of gender, caste, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disabilities are meaningfully considered in program activities. Moreover, the GESI Specialist will ensure women and representatives of other excluded groups are able to actively and meaningfully participate in Tayar Nepal activities. In close coordination with team members, the GESI Specialist will build the capacity of project partners, including national and local stakeholders and implementing partners, in this area.
- Work with the Tayar Nepal team to implement Tayar Nepal’s GESI Action Plan and produce regular reports on GESI integration in Tayar Nepal.
- Strengthen GESI integration by proposing required adaptation based on analysis of the disaggregated MEL data (qualitative and quantitative), recommendations and inputs gathered from Tayar Nepal’s GESI Committee, team members and other key stakeholders.
- Design and deliver GESI related trainings to build capacity of Tayar Nepal staff and that of partners.
- Identify opportunities to integrate GESI considerations and principles in local government structures, performance measurement processes, policies, plans, and budget allocations.
- Design interventions that address GESI disparities and create opportunities for women and other excluded groups’ leadership and participation.
- Work with field staff to track GESI performance in participating municipalities and with grantee GESI focal persons to track GESI performance in grants implementation.
- Master's Degree in a relevant field in the social sciences (development studies, rural development, women and gender studies, sociology, anthropology) or Bachelor’s degree with substantial relevant experience is required. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years-experience working to address gender, youth, and/or social inclusion issues, in the DRRM sector is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience conducting gender integration programing.
- Ability to write coherent and analytical reports.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Prior experience with USAID project, procedures, policies and reporting requirements is preferred.
- Spoken and written fluency in English.
Level of Effort/Timeline
The level of effort is 260 days per year. The Tayar Nepal program is structured with a three-year base period (August 2019 – July 2022), and an option period for an additional two years (August 2022 – July 2024). The employment contract will be on a yearly basis, with possible extensions until the close of the project in July 2022, or July 2024 if the option period is granted. The GESI Specialist will be based in Kathmandu.
The GESI Specialist will work under direct supervision of the Private Sector and Social Inclusion Manager.
Interested applicants should submit an updated CV to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by March 10, 2021.
Women and persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantaged communities are encouraged to apply.