Detailed Job description / requirements:
USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Scope of Work
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host country governments. More information about DAI can be found on the DAI website (www.dai.com).
Nepal is prone to a range of natural disasters, including floods, landslides, fires, earthquakes, and disease outbreaks. In the wake of recent tragedies in the country, including the massive 2015 Gorkha earthquake, USAID introduced Tayar Nepal activity. Tayar Nepal is USAID’s flagship disaster preparedness and response project for Nepal. Tayar—which means “prepared”—strengthens the capacity of Nepal’s disaster risk management (DRM) and preparedness institutions. At the national level Tayar Nepal builds the capacity of disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM) institutions, which includes Ministry of Federal Affairs (MoFAGA), Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA), National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA). At the municipal level, Tayar Nepal’s interventions support municipalities to fulfill their DRM roles in the broader federal disaster management system by building capacity in preparedness, response, and helping them understand and address the risks that face their constituents.
Summary of Primary Duties
The Senior Engineer will lead and oversee feasibility studies, site selection, detailed design, implementation, technical supervision and monitoring of disaster risk reduction and mitigation related construction work and risk sensitive land use plan implementation under Tayar Nepal.
- Lead in feasibility studies, site selection, detailed design and implementation of disaster risk reduction and mitigation related construction work under Tayar Nepal in coordination with Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Specialist, Field Coordinator and Engineers.
- Provide technical inputs to Tayar Nepal team on DRRM related construction work.
- Undertake technical lead role of construction and engineering work for disaster risk reduction and mitigation for landslide, flood, fire earthquake and other disaster.
- Ensure environmental and social safeguards and compliance of construction related projects, including ensuring no use of child labor.
- Supervise, coach and provide technical inputs to Engineers on DRRM related construction work.
- Support engineers, field coordinator to implement risk sensitive land use plan.
- Guide Engineers to collect/ primary data in the field (field surveys, field investigations, household surveys etc.) and secondary data from the municipalities and relevant authorities in the municipality/province.
- Lead and support Tayar Technical Team to develop detailed scopes of work related to construction and engineering (in coordination with Field Team) for Tayar assistance package that will include appropriate staffing, budget, workplan, and vendor requirements.
- Oversee implementation of TA packages related to construction and engineering and ensure quality control and reporting in coordination with the MEL Specialist.
- Support Tayar Grantees, sub-contractor and partners to undertake their municipal level activities related to construction and engineering.
- Other duties requested by DRRM Specialist.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering. Preferred master’s in construction management /Infrastructure Construction and Management.
- At least 10 years/master’s degree and 13 years/ bachelor’s degree of relevant experience required in engineering field surveys, quantity surveys, estimation, infrastructure design, construction supervision and other engineering related works specifically in the disaster mitigation activities for flood, landslides, earthquake and other critical infrastructures. (For excluded group a minimum of 8 years with master’s degree and 11 years with bachelor’s degree)
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively with municipalities, local communities, vulnerable and most vulnerable groups, civil society and other stakeholders.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) and SAP, Auto CADD and other relevant software skills.
- Able to work effectively in cross-cultural settings; can support, negotiate, and cooperate with those of other cultures and genders.
- Proven ability to proactively manage workloads and multiple priorities efficiently and with minimal supervision.
- Results-driven with good interpersonal skills, both speaking and writing skills in English and Nepali Language.
Level of Effort, Location and Reporting
This position is anticipated to be through March 2024. The level of effort is 260 days per year. The employment contract will be on a yearly basis, with possible extensions until the close of the project. The Senior Engineer will supervisor Field Engineers and work closely with Field Coordinator to ensure smooth and effective implementation of Tayar’s activities in the municipality. The Senior Engineer will be based in Kathmandu with frequent travel to the eight selected municipalities across Nepal and will report to the DRRM Specialist.
Interested applicants should submit an updated CV to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by August 15, 2022.
Women, persons with disabilities, and those from marginalized and disadvantaged communities are encouraged to apply.