Procurement Support Staff
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises. The IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. The IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services. The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. The IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Procurement Support Staff
Organizational Unit / Duty Station
(Department / Regional Office / Delegation..... etc.)
Procurement Unit / Logistics Department/ Country Delegation Nepal /Asia Pacific
Immediate Supervisor’s Title
Senior Procurement Officer
Technical Manager’s Title
Senior Logistics Officer
Number of Technical Reports
Number of Direct Reports
Number of Indirect Reports
Organizational context (where the job is located in the Organization)
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian network, reaching 150 million people each year through its 192-member National Societies. The Organization acts before, during and after disasters, crises and health emergences in order to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people. Our work is guided by seven fundamental principles (humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality), policies and by Strategy 2030, which voices our collective vision and determination to move forward in tackling the major challenges that confront humanity in the coming decade. The IFRC Secretariat has a decentralized structure: five regional delegations (each with several country cluster delegations and country delegations reporting to it) covering the globe and responsible for frontline delivery through National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, backed by the Secretariat HQ based in Geneva.
The IFRC is currently present in Nepal through a Country Delegation (CD - first established in 1965 with a presence through regional representation at times), providing support to Nepal Red Cross Society (NRCS) programmes and capacity building. The longer-term mission of the Nepal Delegation is to facilitate organisational growth, technical capacities, partnerships and resource mobilisation that enable Nepal Red Cross Society to deliver on its humanitarian mandate in the country through the provision of technical support, advocacy, representation and coordination functions, in accordance with Strategy 2030 and annual Operational Plans.
This position is focused on providing support to Sr. Procurement Officer in national level procurement for the Country Delegation Nepal and movement partners in Nepal in the area of Logistics, the incumbent is considered an integral part of the support system of Nepal Red Cross Society both in the assigned sector as well as the overall capacity building of the National Society. As such it is expected that the incumbent works cooperatively with NRCS when called upon to support.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Support and assist Sr. Procurement Officer to plan, co-ordinate and organize country level IFRC procurement activities in full compliance with IFRC Procurement Procedures and best practices to enable a high quality, efficient and cost-effective procurement process that meets the requests of the services users.
- Assist in the maintenance of International Federation standard procurement practices keeping records to full audit trail standard.
- Assist in obtaining minimum three quotations, preparation of a Comparative Bid Analysis, and advise in recommending purchasing, with all information being systematically recorded in Purchase Committee minutes where appropriate.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of appropriate supporting documents to the Committee on Contracts at the National level.
- Assist in archiving all the procurement files which are in the form of hard copy and soft copy.
- Ensure all the LR forms are raised by requester in appropriate manner with its attached specifications/scope of works.
- Liaise with suppliers, service providers and other relevant stakeholders regarding delivery of supplies or services and keeping all parties informed of any changes in a timely manner.
- Ensure that quality control/checks are conducted for all items, materials, or tools procured and delivered by suppliers, that they all meet specifications stated in contracts, are fit for the intended purpose, and have appropriate inspection certificates when required.
- To carry accountability for ensuring that all procured goods and services are compliant with IFRC regulations and quality standards, are fit for purpose and inspection compliant.
- Support Sr. Procurement Officer with appropriate authorization, execute the purchase of appropriate supplies and arrange delivery in a timely and cost- effective manner.
- Assist in the maintenance of an accurate and up-to-date supplier information database for regularly purchased items and keep updated on local market conditions. Assist and maintain the records of the supplier and their performance.
- Ensure a good professional working relationship with suppliers and other stake holders.
- Maintain and be responsible for the compilation and regular updating of procurement database/pipeline for the goods and services.
- Assist and support to Sr. Procurement Officer in the preparation of regular, timely and accurate narrative and financial reports for the International Federation and for donors.
- Apply and implement a full anti-corruption risk mitigation in all procurement transaction and dealings with Vendors.
- Perform emergency duties as required and be available for during holidays if the situation so warrants.
- Perform other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Line Manager/ Sr. Logistics Officer / Finance and Admin Delegate.
He/ She must maintain a moral confidentiality agreement to the International Federation, not disclosing neither spreading information shared by an individual participant in confidence concerning his/ her experiences or other sensitive information.
He/ She is also in charge of organizing the archives of all human resources reports and documents and will treat them as confidential material, not for spreading beyond the target audience.
Should there be a breach in this confidentiality, the employer reserves the right to terminate the contract with immediate effect.
Exception to the rule: If the information received reveals that the delegate/staff comes to serious harm, that should be notified to the line manager whose responsibility is to act according to the Federation Code of Conduct regarding supporting vulnerable people.
Bachelor’s in the relevant field
Logistics / Procurementcertificate or equivalent Professional Procurement qualification
Trained on logistics, procurement, administration, finance or equivalent field
3-5 years professional procurement experience
Experience in managing and training staff/volunteers
Experience of working for a humanitarian aid organisation
Red Cross/Red Crescent knowledge and experience
Knowledge and Skills
Procurement and supply chain management skills
Budget and financial management skills
Ability to work in a cross-functional environment
Excellent communications skills including report writing
Ability to work to tight deadlines and handle multiple tasks
Knowledge of procedures and international standards for the purchase of goods and services
Knowledge of the IFRC procurement and financial management procedures
Computer literacy including Microsoft Office
Proven experience to carry out procurement assessment and set up operations
Able to work under stress, possible long working hours
Valid local driving license (Four-Wheeler)
Fluently spoken and written English
Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Fluently spoken and written Local Languages
Competencies (to be filled in by HR)
Judgment and Decision Making
Creative and Innovative; National Society and Customer Relation