NDRRMA Embedded Advisor
DAI was founded in 1970 by three graduates of Harvard Universityâ€™s Kennedy School of Government intent on providing a more dynamic and effective brand of development assistance. This entrepreneurial approach would look beyond traditional philanthropy to embrace the virtues of the private sector, and build a company that delivers social and economic development on a competitive, cost-effective, best-value basisâ€”a social enterprise that is self-sustaining because it is profitable. Employee-owned DAI is now a global development company with a record of delivering results in 160 countries. But it remains today what it was as a start-up: innovative, alert, self-critical, and forward-lookingâ€”and driven by a powerful sense of corporate purpose. Our mission remains essentially unchanged from the days of the founders. Job Opportunities DAI offers rewarding career opportunities for talented technical, managerial, and support professionals. By providing challenging assignments, a commitment to professional development, managerial systems based on teamwork, and an ownership stake in the company, we attract and retain high-caliber staff. Our workforce reflects a cultural diversity that gives us a broad spectrum of backgrounds and perspectives. www.dai.com
Detailed Job description / requirements:
NDRRMA Embedded Advisor
USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Scope of Work
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments. More information about DAI can be found on the DAI website ( www.dai.com ).
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Project will strengthen the capacity of Nepal’s national, provincial and municipal institutions responsible for disaster risk reduction, preparedness and response. In a country prone to a myriad of natural disasters, at the national level Tayar Nepal will build the capacity of disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM) institutions, including the newly created National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Agency (NDRRMA). Locally, Tayar will support eight urban municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans and then support the prioritization and implementation of a set of technical assistance packages improve disaster resilience. In the event of a disaster over the life of the five-year project, USAID/Nepal may engage the program’s rapid emergency response mechanism. Tayar will also work closely with the Government of Nepal and Nepali emergency responders to mobilize technical assistance, commodity support, small-scale infrastructure, and information management support. Tayar will apply lessons learned from disaster risk reduction &response efforts to improve national-level DRRM systems and municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
Summary of Primary Duties
The NDRRMA Embedded Advisor will responsible technical support to be provided to NDRRMA’s leadership and officials on policy formulation, function, coordination and any other needs as required.
- Co-located and embedded within NDRRMA
- Collaborate across GON to develop a system for monitoring DRR policy and strategy implementation, including key performance indicators aligned fifteenth five-year plan and national M&E framework developed by NPC that can be measured by GON and overseen by interested CSOs.
- Facilitate opportunities for provincial governments and local levels to provide feedback on the implementation of respective DRR policy and strategy and also facilitate to improve the weak points in DRR policy, strategy, act and regulations.
- Support NDRRMA leadership and other identified champions within GON, three tiers of governments and private sector to advocate for strong coordination and for public funding on DRRM priorities.
- Support leadership of MoHA and NDRRMA to identify the gaps on Organization and Management (O&M) report to facilitate establishment of full-fledged NDRRMA.
- Advise leadership of NDRRMA on the formulation of institutional structures at provincial and local levels;
- Advise on the human resources management systems of the authority to fulfill the responsibilities and expectations in effective and efficient manners;
- Facilitate the leadership of NDRRMA, MoHA and other key stakeholders of GON to identify the immediate and long-term actions and priorities to operationalize the authority.
Qualifications and Experiences
- At least 10 years of experience, including relevant work in disaster risk reduction &management, law, public policy, or public administration
- Experience in assessing organizational capability and implementing associated capacity building programming
- Experience of current federal system and knowledge on disaster governance
- Work experience with GON and with development partners in disaster governance & institutional development areas through wider engagement of stakeholders
- University degree in relevant field required. Masters preferred.
Location and Reporting
The NDRRMA Embedded Advisor will be based in Kathmandu with frequent travel to the eight selected municipalities across Nepal and will report to the DRM Governance Specialist.
Interested applicants should submit a CV and cover letter to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by November 23, 2019. Please mention the position in the subject line of the email.