National Legal Officer
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - a related organization of the United Nations - is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration. It works to meet the growing operational challenges of migration, advance understanding of migration issues, encourage social and economic development through migration and uphold the well-being and human rights of migrants.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Vacancy Notice No:SVN#NP/05/19
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: National Legal Officer
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Classification: National Officer, Ungraded
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term Ungraded, six months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: December 17, 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
IOM – The UN Migration Agency has been technically supporting the Government of Nepal in taking forward the Government’s priority areas by contributing to the indicators of Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) National Strategic Action Plan. IOM will continue its efforts to support all three tiers of the Government in achieving its 12 years national strategies on DRRM together with SDG 2030 agenda.
To continue the momentum and build upon learning and foundations established, IOM aims to assist the Government to enhance the disaster risk management governance at Federal, Provincial and Local levels. In order to achieve this, IOM will support in strengthening the legal framework of both the provincial and local levels taking into account the roles and responsibilities of the federal, provincial as well as local governments for effective and efficient disaster prevention, preparedness, response and recovery.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the National Program Officer and in close coordination with the Program Unit of IOM the National Legal Officer will provide technical support to Government of Nepal in the essence of IOM’s support for effective implementation of DRRM Act for building resilient communities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- The National Legal Officer will consolidate comments/feedbacks from Provincial and Local Governments and other experts/stakeholders and provide technical inputs and support in strengthening the legal framework on DRRM.
- The National Legal Officer will work in close coordination with the Provincial Governments of all seven provinces and also with the local governments to provide key technical inputs and contribute towards the strengthening of legal framework.
- Support in the formation of the inter-ministerial technical working group at the Provincial level and work closely in the mentorship of Senior Disaster Risk Reduction Management Expert hired through the project.
- Support in the formation of an inter-ministerial technical working group at the Provincial level together with project team.
- Support and provide technical inputs in drafting DRRM legislative documents, strategies and guidelines at the Local and Provincial level and contribute to the formation of Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority at all seven provinces of Nepal.
- Facilitate consultations for drafting/revising of PDRRM Act, bylaws, Strategic action plan and guidelines.
- Facilitate meetings and consultations with Provincial Inter-ministerial technical working group and solicit recommendations and feedback.
- Establish and maintain close and positive links with the relevant provincial and local stakeholders, such as provincial and local authorities, non-governmental organizations, private sector actors and the media.
- Draft, edit, or translate into Nepali documents such as key news releases, media statements, communication materials, statements and speeches and other public information material to communicate project activities.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the technical or administrative supervisors that are related to the goals of the project.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed University degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Migration Management Studies, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Economics, International Relations, Management, Law or other related fields with 2 years of relevant professional work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in above field with 4 years of relevant professional work experience.
- Working experience in project development, project planning, research, networking and project implementation will be an advantage.
- Previous experience in international organization is an advantage.
Fluency in English, Nepali is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resourcesô€‚ƒ Presents goals as shared interests
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Planning and Organizing - Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Only Nepali Nationals will be considered for this position.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 December 2019. Only short listed candidates will be called for interview.
From 04.12.2019 to 17.12.2019