Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) Expert
Shechen Karuna Nepal is working in Nepal since 2020 with the vision to create a just society without poverty, a society in which all women and men live a life of dignity, enjoy their rights as active citizens of Nepal. Through integrated development program it aims to provide people with better livelihood opportunities, improved health conditions, sustained environment, quality education and continued economic development, ensuring that development-related activities are demand driven and sustainable. As defined by the VISION 2025, a strategic guidance, Shechen Karuna Nepal has been working in three regions Terai, Mid-Hills and High-Hills (mountains) in five inter-connected thematic sectors; 1. Health and Hygiene 2. Education 3. Food Security 4. Economic Development 5. Environment By working in these sectors, Shechen Karuna aims to provide people with opportunities to reduce poverty, vulnerability and inequality, ensuring that development-related activities are gender sensitive, socially inclusive, demand driven and sustainable, and that the most vulnerable are empowered to sustained their effort. Shechen Karuna works in close coordination local governments and civil society organizations to support marginalized, socially excluded and economically poor communities.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) Expert
General Responsibility (Overall purpose)
The overall responsibility of the MEAL Expert is to bring significant experience and fresh ideas to MEAL system implementation, review and evaluations, and MEAL budgeting, and ensure evidence-based knowledge is generated and shared for quality interventions.
The MEAL Expert will work with the MEAL Department specifically, and the whole organization, generally, to ensure quality, effectiveness and appropriateness of the projects. S/he will guide Shechen Karuna to maintain an effective monitoring system across all sectors, including the use of beneficiary feedback data, and also support to proposal writing, log frame and theory of change development.
Specific Roles and Responsibility
1. MEAL Strategy Development:
- Study the present system, and provide feedback to develop and implement a comprehensive MEAL strategy that aligns with the organization's goals and objectives.
- Strengthen the existing MEAL frameworks, tools, and methodologies that capture relevant data and indicators for project effectiveness and impact.
2. Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Oversee the implementation of routine data collection processes and provide feedback to ensure accurate and timely collection of project data.
- Manage the analysis of quantitative and qualitative data to assess program performance, identify trends, and provide actionable recommendations.
- Assist the MEAL Department to collaborate with program teams to ensure that monitoring and evaluation findings are utilized for program improvement and decision-making.
- Lead the preparation and dissemination of regular project reports and evaluations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Analyze the present mechanisms for beneficiary and stakeholder feedback, and provide feedback to develop a comprehensive procedure to ensure their voices and needs are incorporated into program design and implementation.
- Establish and maintain systems for handling complaints, feedback, and inquiries from beneficiaries and stakeholders, and ensure appropriate responses and follow-up.
4. Learning and Knowledge Management:
- Facilitate organizational learning by capturing and disseminating lessons learned, best practices, and innovations from project implementation.
- Promote a culture of learning within the organization by facilitating reflection sessions, knowledge-sharing events, and cross-departmental collaboration.
- Contribute to the development of learning materials and resources to support capacity building and professional development of MEAL staff.
5. Capacity Building:
- Facilitate and promote training and mentorship to MEAL and Program Department staff on MEAL principles, tools, and techniques.
- Strengthen the MEAL capacity in field teams to ensure consistent and effective data collection, analysis, and reporting.
6. External Engagement:
- When required, and time permitting, represent the organization in relevant forums and working groups related to MEAL and program quality.
7. Budget and Resource Management:
- Assist the MEAL Department to develop and manage the MEAL department's budget, ensuring efficient allocation of resources for data collection, analysis, and reporting activities.
8. Project Proposal Development
- Assist in development of a strategic approach by aligning the proposal's content with the goals, values, and priorities of the organization and the need of the target population.
- Lead the MEAL Department to gather relevant data and information that will enhance the quality of the proposal.
- Support the MEAL Department to proofread the proposal meticulously for grammar, spelling, and formatting errors, ensuring the proposal reflects professionalism and attention to detail.
Education / Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, Statistics, Social Science, or similar degrees.
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience with non-profit organization in designing, implementing, reporting, monitoring, and evaluating interventions in multiple sectors.
- Proven technical ability and experience in survey design, sampling methodologies, data analytics and statistical analysis
- Highly developed analytical and reporting skills
- Basic skills in database design and other information management tools
- Fluency in written and spoken in both Nepali and English
Knowledge & skills
- High level interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills, ability to capacity build others
- Ability to work well in a team, under pressure and in response to changing needs
- Ability to prioritize a heavy workload and to delegate accordingly, and under culturally sensitive situations
- Self-motivated, flexible, and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization.
To apply for the position, please send an email to: email@example.com with an updated CV and motivation letter with available date mentioning the position applied for in the subject of the email.
Application Deadline: Thursday, 28 September 2023
Expected Start Date: October 2023
Contract Duration: Till December 2023 with a strong possibility of extension depending on performance and project renewal for 2024 and beyond
Offered Salary: Basic NPR 105,000 monthly and with other fringe benefits as per HR policy of organization.
Duty station: Kathmandu with 25% of travel required
Due to urgent priority to fill in the position, recruitment can be held on a rolling basis and Shechen Karuna reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the deadline. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further selection process. Telephone inquiries will not be entertained.
Shechen Karuna is committed to a diverse workforce in terms of gender and culture. Applications from women, ethnic and marginalized groups are highly encouraged to apply. Canvassing at any stage of the process will lead to disqualification.