Market Systems Consultant
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Scope of Work: Market Systems Consultant
LOE: Not to exceed 160 hours
To apply: send CV, letter of interest, and a writing sample to JobsNepal@lwr.org
Apply by date: May 6, 2021
Lutheran World Relief (LWR) is recruiting for a short-term consultant, based in Nepal, to support market systems analysis for an anticipated agriculture and market systems activity. Reporting to the Manager, Business Development and the Director, Innovation & Learning, the consultant will lead and support intel gathering for the USAID Nepal Feed the Future Agricultural Inputs and Market Systems Activity. This Activity will seek to improve the productivity, competitiveness, inclusivity, and resilience of Nepal’s agriculture sector by increasing the availability and accessibility of four critical inputs: improved seed, fertilizer, irrigation, and agricultural equipment.
The consultant will provide technical expertise on market systems and agriculture relevant to the Agricultural Inputs and Market Systems activity in Nepal. This includes leading desk research and key informant interviews on agricultural inputs and market systems. The consultant will meet regularly with LWR staff members to provide timely updates and information. The consultant may also provide technical expertise on integrating market systems and issues related:
- Access to finance
- Digital technology
- Gender and Social Inclusion
- A summary report of desk research related to the project scope.
- Notes on key informant interviews.
- Written responses to questions provided by LWR staff members.
- A final list of deliverables will be agreed upon contract signature. Deliverables will be due by June 2021. Exact deliverable date(s) to be determined upon contract signature.
Expected duration of the assignment: not to exceed one month, starting in May 2021.
- Deep professional experience and networks in the market systems sector, with 10-15 years of relevant experience with the Nepal government, private sector, academia or civil society preferred.
- Deep understanding of market systems and agriculture supply chains with the ability to clearly identify factors influencing marginalized farmers all the way to large input producers or importers.
- Master’s degree or higher in agriculture, agribusiness, agriculture economics, or related field.
- Experience in technical assessment, design, and implementation of agricultural development projects in Nepal. Familiarity with USAID preferred.
- Ability to quickly absorb a large quantity of information and communicate, both verbally and in written form, concise, highly relevant and useful answers and recommendations to key questions.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, including proficiency in Word, Excel and online communication tools.
- Excellent time management and communication skills.