Legal Program Associate
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) promotes democratic stability by providing technical assistance and applying field-based research to the electoral cycle worldwide to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil societies, governance and transparency. Every IFES project is staffed by national and international staff while partnering with local organizations. This homegrown approach ensures that the expertise offered by IFES fits the needs of the country or client and the benefit of assistance outlasts the life of the project. Our work is nonpartisan and also includes projects that: Help citizens participate in their democracies Increase politicians' accountability to the electorate Strengthen government institutions Since its founding in 1987, IFES has worked in more than 100 countries - from developing democracies such as Liberia, to mature democracies such as the United States.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is an international NGO that supports the building of democratic societies around the world. Since 2006, IFES Nepal has worked with the Election Commission of Nepal (ECN) and local civil society partners to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil society, governance and transparency.
IFES Nepal is seeking a Legal Program Associate to support program implementation, report writing, monitoring and evaluation and product development for IFES’ legal work with the ECN. This position will be under the supervision of the Country Director and will be full-time.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support drafting of electoral laws and electoral legal reform;
- Support improvements to key electoral processes such as political and campaign finance reporting and electoral dispute resolution, including through information communications technology (ICT) based systems;
- Provide support to the ECN during and leading up to election periods;
- Collaborate with consultants, the ECN and CSO partners;
- Perform and review translations of legal and nonlegal documents, as required;
- Support capacity building and other IFES/ECN/CSO activities, as required;
- Other relevant tasks as assigned by the Country Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in law
- 0-2 years of relevant experience in international development or related field;
- Good knowledge of Nepal’s legal system and processes;
- Initiative, drive and strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently in support of a team;
- Applicants must already reside in Nepal, preferably in Kathmandu;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English;
- Availability to travel may be required up to 10%.
This position is opened to Nepali nationals only. Qualified and interested candidates are requested to send their application with an updated CV and two professional references to: email@example.com, including the position title you are applying for in the subject line. The application submission deadline is 4:00 PM, Thursday, August 5, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for selection processes. Women, persons with disabilities and marginalized communities are highly encouraged to apply.