Mott MacDonald is an employee-owned management, development and engineering consultancy serving the public and private sector around the world, with more than 16,000 staff worldwide. Our International Development Services Unit, IDS, operates portfolios within the international development sectors of Environment, Climate, Water, Roads, Rural & Urban Development, Education, Health, Social and Economic Development in over 40 countries. Together we implement and manage projects in developing countries and emerging economies around the world, supporting national governments and municipalities in policy, planning, project design and delivery. We are committed to support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and to provide our expertise to improve the lives of people in need.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Contract: Full time
The GESI/Communication Specialist will have a strong GESI/LNOB experience and convincing communications skills as well. In addition to driving the GESI strategy and outcomes forward, he/she can assist in collecting and editing stories, analyse data, and convert those in communication products.
Her/his responsibilities will be to:
1. Supporting and guiding GESI/LNOB mainstreaming in NCCSP2
- Orient the technical staff of NCCSP2 on GESI mainstreaming and promoting Transformative Change
- Track progress against the Strategy and update it at least annually
- Proactively identify ways and entry points through which NCCSP2 Outputs can strengthen their programming to maximise GESI-responsiveness
- Capacity building and coaching with project staff and implementing partners as required on gender mainstreaming
- Keep abreast of emerging research, issues and information on Transformation change of and GESI and share effectively
- Use and interpret GESI-related programme data and write analyses
- Prepare a ‘GESI situation and trend analysis’ of implementation areas
- Prepare and disseminate documents on transformative change outcomes
- Regular field visits and ongoing communication to support implementation, capacity building and monitoring
- Identify opportunities for deepening GESI outcomes, particularly in relation to local government and communities (e.g. User Committee membership).
- Analyse LNOB status and prepare strategy during local planning process including LAPA process.
- Identify areas of collaboration with local government to support women’s political, social and economic transformation change, and support Cluster Climate Coordinators in integrating this in LAPA plans
2. Programme communications
- Lead implementation of programme’s communications strategies, guidelines, and action plans, and GESI/LNOB strategy internally and externally
- Work with the programme team to implement the communication plan and support work to build communication capacity of NCCSP2 staff
- Produce and disseminate project information and knowledge products through print, broadcast, web and social media as required by the programmes e.g. quarterly newsletters, radio broadcasts, yearly case studies, short videos
- Oversee management of social media accounts
- Manage communication content including updating the website, newsletter and brochures, adhering to agreed approval protocols
- Ensure compliance with FCDO guidance on communication with media and branding.
- Manage media relations and maximize media opportunities.
- Establish partnerships with knowledge management networks e.g. NCCKMC-NAST
- Train cluster teams on effective communication approach/ strategy (e.g. gathering stories of change, taking photos)
- Gather and edit success stories, stories of change reflecting lessons learned across all the Programme components
- Develop/submit communication related inputs for programme reports, monthly and quarterly report, Annual Review report
- Lead component 4 in coordination with other component leads.
Key organisational relationships
The position holder will work closely with Team Leader, Output Area Leads and Cluster Climate Coordinators, as appropriate, and support the identification of communication objectives for specific activities and audiences, and in the preparation of necessary communication resources
- Mid-level GESI technical expertise and relevant academic qualifications
- Experience of managing GESI / Transformative change projects/project components with multiple simultaneous activities
- Experience providing strategic guidance and direction on gender/GESI-responsive programming;
- Knowledge of women’s empowerment strategies in the public and private sector, social norms/attitude change and enhancing women’s political voice and participation is a considerable advantage
- Experience with field work/visits in various areas of Nepal is an advantage
- Experience of training and capacity building in gender/GESI an advantage
- Experience of working on large-scale development partner funded activities, in particular UKAid, is an advantage
- The successful candidate will be able to work independently as well as in consultation and collaboration with NCCSP2 team members and technical advisory consultants.
- Excellent English and Nepali writing and content editing skills. This is essential.
- Ability to write content that clearly demonstrates the results and impact of project activities to external stakeholders, both national and international.
- Experience managing and drafting content for websites and social media accounts.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills, but also a team player with the willingness to learn and support the learning of others;
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with relevant stakeholders;
- Ability to work effectively in remote areas, and willing to travel throughout the project area in Nepal
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to work with an international and national team which is geographically dispersed
- Ability to manage a range of activities in different places involving different stakeholders, and implementers,
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- A Master’s level degree in a related subject, with experience in GESI, preferably in Nepal
- A track record in producing communication products in the field of GESI and beyond.
- Strong practical expertise in social, political and economic development, empowerment and inclusion of marginalised and vulnerable people;
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges of climate change resilience
- Good understanding working federal, provincial, local governments and national/international stakeholders
- Good understanding of ‘Leave no one behind’, as expressed in the Sustainable Development Goals.
- GESI knowledge with Climate Change Intervention will be an advantage.
Mott MacDonald has been appointed by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) as the Technical Assistance Provider for the “Nepal Climate Change Support Programme Phase 2 (NCCSP2), led by the Ministry of Forests and Environment. NCCSP was designed with an aim to ensure that the poorest and most vulnerable communities in Nepal are able to adapt to the effects of climate change. NCCSP2 supports local governments design and implement Local Adaptation Plan of Actions (LAPA) activities, with higher level support provided to the MoFE and Provincial government. The LAPA process provides a climate risk screening approach that is aligned with the periodic and annual Municipality planning and budgeting process of municipalities.
NCCSP2 will operate in up to 40 Municipalities in Provinces 5, 6 and 7. The aim of NCCSP2 is to:
- Support the poorest and most vulnerable communities and local enterprises in western Nepal to become more resilient to the impacts of climate change;
- Use participatory, evidence-based processes to identify long-term adaptation priorities; and integrate these into Government of Nepal planning and policy;
- Build the capacity of Government of Nepal to finance, design and deliver adaptation interventions;
- Improve coordination of community-based adaptation interventions and generate evidence that can improve the quality of future adaptation planning
The objectives of the Technical Assistance to NCCSP2 is to support and build the capacity of the Government of Nepal to deliver the programme. The TA to the NCCSP2 comprises of 4 objectives:
- Help the Government of Nepal (GoN) to deliver the programme effectively, efficiently, and economically through the provision of technical expertise
- Reduce the fiduciary risk associated with the programme
- Strengthen the capacity of the GoN to implement climate change adaptation programming today and in the future
Share learning from NCCSP with others and lead the coordination of partners working on climate change adaptation in Nepal
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence
To apply, please go through the link below: