DRR & Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) Specialist
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Handicap International Federation (HI) is an independent and impartial aid organization, created in 1982, working across 63 countries. HI works alongside the vulnerable populations, whatever the context, taking action to respond to their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. Present in Nepal since 2000, HI works through a network of local partner organizations in the area of health and physical rehabilitation, inclusive education and resilience including emergency response to improve the living conditions and involvement of the most vulnerable populations in Nepal.
HI Nepal invites application for the following position:
1. DRR & Climate Change Adaptation Specialist (CCA) - 1 position
Terms & Conditions: Fixed-Term contract
Location: Kathmandu Nepal (need frequent travel to project districts)
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support on DRR/CCA interventions under assigned projects
- Provide sectorial technical input to the Country Operation Strategy and Technical Strategy/Framework of the Programmes within his/her scope and in his/her sector
- Provide adequate technical guidance and support in assigned project interventions
- Control & monitor the technical quality and the relevance of HI’s activities in the Programmes under his/her scope
- Represent the technical expertise of HI throughout the relevant networks, groups and platforms (Sectorial Representation)
- Provide thematic feedback in the areas of inclusive DRR actions and climate actions.
- Contribute to the design and writing of new projects in the country and when asked in other countries of the region.
- Contribute to the support or implementation of emergency preparedness actions of the programme and, during an emergency, adapts his/her working modality to contribute to an effective HI humanitarian response
- Monitor and document quality, effects and imacts of the technical approaches and interventions related to his/her sector.
- Contribute (technically) to carry out feasibility studies, baseline, project reviews as per the requirements of projects;
- Ensure that the internal regulations, operating procedures and security rules are applied within the team and respects the operation unit hierarchic responsibilities, line of communication and aim for result based management
- Contribute to the project team members for designing suitable tools and templates to record, report and document relevant data on the sector;
- Developing new resources or adapting existing resources in order to improve them and/or adapt them to the context, if necessary (able to identify and respond to Nexus Emergency/Development issues)
Qualification and Skills Required:
- Master’s degree in DRR/M, CCA, Humanitarian development, social work, social science; or relevant field;
- At least 5 years of professional experience with INGO in technical specialist/advisory role with experience in areas such as DRR/M, CCA or Humanitarian action
- Proficient in working experience in the field of inclusive DRR/M, Humanitarian, Early Action, inclusive emergency/humanitarian responses, and CCA
- Knowledge on the different schools of thought and explanatory models of disability and the application of certain tools at the intersection of gender and age;
- Practice of related international and national human rights frameworks and DRR/M framework and humanitarian response standards;
- Proven experience (proficient) with institutional strengthening and organizational capacity development will be desirable
- Proficient in assessing the impact/effects of the activities implemented in his/her service sector;
- Practice of promoting participation and cooperation in the activities in his/her service sector and in multi-disciplinary/sector-based work
- Producing written and oral institutional communication in English, and another language
Please send a motivation letter mentioning your expected salary and an updated CV including 2 referees (one must be your current line manager) with contact number and e-mail address to email@example.com no later than 12th June 2023. HI Nepal reserves the right to cancel, postpone or modify the whole recruitment process and reject any application without specifying any reasons whatsoever.
Handicap International (HI) is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women, people with disability, and members from disadvantaged communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
HI firmly believe in the importance of inclusion and diversity within our organization. This is why we are committed to a disability policy to encourage the inclusion and integration of people with disabilities. Please indicate if you require any special accommodations, including participation in the first interview.
Candidates applying for a job with HI must be ready to comply with our Child Protection Policy, and Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment. HI Nepal has a zero tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the values and mission of HI, hence, all selected candidates are expected to adhere to these standards and principles.