Data & GIS Manager
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Data & GIS Manager
USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Scope of Work
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments. More information about DAI can be found on the DAI website (www.dai.com).
Nepal is prone to a range of natural disasters, including floods, landslides, fires, earthquakes, and disease outbreaks. In the wake of recent tragedies in the country, including the massive 2015 Gorkha earthquake, USAID introduced Tayar Nepal activity. Tayar Nepal is USAID’s flagship disaster preparedness and response project for Nepal. Tayar—which means “prepared”—strengthens the capacity of Nepal’s disaster risk management (DRM) and preparedness institutions. At the national level Tayar Nepal builds the capacity of disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM) institutions, which includes Ministry of Federal Affairs (MoFAGA), Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA), National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA). At the municipal level, Tayar Nepal’s interventions support municipalities to fulfill their DRM roles in the broader federal disaster management system by building capacity in preparedness, response, and helping them understand and address the risks that face their constituents.
The Data and GIS Manager will design data management system and facilitate the program’s monitoring and evaluation from GIS lens. The Manager will generate GIS map and assist program team in its use in appropriate reports. The Manager will participate in the development of pictorial information to inform clients within the context of Tayar Nepal’s objectives.
- Identify sources of relevant data and oversee the creation of a central data management system in Tayar Nepal accessible to relevant project stakeholders.
- Coordinate the RSLUP process with the data platform upgrades so that data and maps developed at the municipal level can be uploaded to a cloud-based system that serves as a long-term repository accessible to other municipalities.
- Ensure oversight and regular maintenance to databases and assist communications to report quantitative results on program status and impact.
- Support data collection, data quality control, tools for analysis, etc. Contribute to on-going design of tools/methods that will support stakeholder and community participation and development planning.
- Design and prepare spatial and temporal data/GIS maps and related presentations of spatial data for Tayar Nepal’s targeted municipalities where various project activates will be implemented.
- Update and maintain the GIS database and maps in close consultation with the relevant national and international institutions.
- Work closely with technical team to build relationships and provide training to national and local government and civil society stakeholders on integrating using GIS to facilitate data analysis and visualization.
- Support MEL team in other MEL activities related to data as required.
- University degree in relevant field required. Masters preferred
- Geospatial analysis experience with demonstrated experience using geospatial software including ESRI ArcGIS, QGIS, Google Earth Pro, and others as applicable. Portfolio of GIS products produced required.
- A minimum of 10 years/master’s degree and 13 years/ bachelor’s degree of relevant experience, including at least 5 years of work experience in GIS, survey methodology, data collection and analysis using advanced software (For excluded group a minimum of 8 years with master’s degree and 11 years with bachelor’s degree)
- Expertise in conducting research to locate, obtain and organize data sets.
- Experience working with stakeholders to build capacity in data analysis and visualization.
- Experience setting up web-enabled ICT platforms.
Location and Reporting
The level of effort is 260 days per year. The employment contract will be on a yearly basis, with possible extensions until the close of the project. The Data and GIS Manager reports to the MEL Team Director. The position is based in Kathmandu, with travel to priority Tayar municipalities.
Interested applicants should submit an updated CV to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by August 12, 2022.
Women and persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantaged communities are encouraged to apply.