Detailed Job description / requirements:
Scope of Work
USAID Tayar Nepal - Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Position: Communication Officer
Type of Employment: Long Term Technical Assistance
Level of Effort: 130 days (6 months)
Period of Performance: On/about July 01 to December 31, 2020
Base of Operations: Kathmandu Office
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal– Improved Disaster Risk Management Project (Tayar Nepal) is strengthening the capacity of Nepal’s national and sub-national institutions responsible for disaster risk reduction, preparedness and response. Nationally, Tayar Nepal works with the newly created National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Authority (NDRRMA) and other disaster risk reduction and management (DRRM) entities to improve how national-level systems and institutions address to all types of risks caused by natural hazards and technical disasters. Locally, Tayar Nepal works in target municipalities to enhance local DRRM capacity by working with existing and new local bodies and communities to identify and implement successful DRRM initiatives which are consistent with national level policies and guidelines
Component 3 is Tayar Nepal’s rapid response mechanism designed for rapid activation and mobilization in the event of a disaster. While originally conceptualized for use in the event of a large natural disaster such as earthquake or flood, USAID plans to activate Component 3 to enable the project to support the NDRRMA in its response to the Covid-19 pandemic which has taken hold in Nepal. The first task order is expected to focus on the following objectives:
- Prepare municipalities for the socio-economic impacts of the Covid-19 crisis
- Pilot replicable livelihood and economic support activities
- Mobilize financial resources to address urgent recovery needs
To implement the six month early economic recovery activity in twelve municipalities, Tayar Nepal needs dedicated Communication Officer to manage communication and Outreach activities under this program.
The Communications Officer will support in Communication and Outreach activities considered in the program activities under the Component 3, especially on the livelihood and economic support program through cash-for-work and cash and voucher programs.
Responsibilities and Key Tasks:
- Support project information and communication needs. Report results on program status and impact, including press releases and success stories.
- Support in compiling and editing reports on the project’s progress as well as other contractual deliverables.
- Facilitate project’s public events such as openings, press conferences, forums, seminar and conference speaking engagements, news releases.
- Assist in development of project branding and messaging in line with the project’s communication strategy.
- Document success stories in consultation with technical team and from field visit.
- Develop Information, Education and Communication materials under the Component 3 and dissemination.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field. Masters Preferred.
- 8 years of experience in communications for development activities. Experience in marketing communications, information management, public affairs, public awareness and/or media.
- Communication skills developed in a marketing or advertising firm, or in media.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing USAID funded projects
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and fluency in English
Location and Reporting
TheCommunication Officer will be based in Kathmandu, will work under the direct supervision of the Implementation Specialist, and in close coordination with Component 3 technical team, cross-cutting, and operations teams.
Interested applicants should submit a CV and cover letter to TayarRecruitment@dai.com by July 1, 2020. Please mention the position in the subject line of the email you are applying for.
Women, persons with disabilities, and applicants from marginalized and disadvantaged communities are encouraged to apply.