Citizen Engagement Coordinator
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Citizen Engagement Coordinator
Sajhedari – Support to Federalism (STF)
Position: Citizen Engagement Coordinator
No of Position(s): 1
Location: Lumbini Province (based in Dang)
Reporting: Senior Citizen Engagement Specialist
1. Project Overview
The USAID's Sajhedari- Support to Federalism (STF) project seeks a dynamic Nepali professional to fill the position of Citizen Engagement Coordinator. Sajhedari -STF is a six-year technical assistance project that aims to support the Government of Nepal (GoN) in the transition from a unitary state to a three-tiered federal system. This support will be focused on achievement of the following objectives:
Objective 1: The GoN creates sound policies and legislation that empower, finance and regulate provincial and municipal governments;
Objective 2: Provincial and municipal governments are more responsive, accountable, transparent and effective; and
Objective 3: Citizens and civil society organizations in the target municipalities are more involved in local decision-making and oversight.
Reporting to Sr. Citizen Engagement Specialist, the Citizen Engagement Coordinator will coordinate and facilitate CSOs capacity building that includes trainings, awareness, civic consultations, and dialogues. The CEC will promote constructive civic engagement in local level planning, budgeting and civic oversight and feedback mechanism in public service delivery in close coordination with Sajhedari partner Palika and Civil Society Organizations.
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION/REQUIREMENTS:
More specifically, S/he responsible for:
- Lead/Support community mobilization to implement project activities at the municipal and district level in close coordination with Municipal Coordinators and municipal authorities.
- Liaise with the municipal authorities, frontline government officials, civil society/community leaders, citizen interest groups & their networks and political parties and other key stakeholders. And represent Sajhedari-STF at local level.
- Establish and maintain professional and productive relationships with communities and local government agencies at the district and municipal level.
- Coordinate and facilitate District and Municipal level events related to studies/assessments, workshops, training and orientation programs and formal/informal interactions with program beneficiaries, partners, and stakeholders.
- Map and assess capacity need of grassroot level CSOs, Tole Development Organizations (TDOs) and Good Citizen Initiative (GCI) networks and enhance their capacity for evidence-based advocacy, campaigning, and reflective actions to work closely with their local government.
- Facilitate monitoring of field level project activities to be on time, target, and budget, and propose recommendations for improvements.
- Utilize personal knowledge, connections, and skills to build sustainable and productive relationships with and between diverse key stakeholders from the public, private and civic sectors.
- Coordinate closely with thematic advisor, specialists, municipal coordinators and research consultants assigned by the project to generate and collect required information and data in the process of measuring results and monitor compliances.
- Follow reporting requirements and report to the supervisor through appropriate means as required.
- Maintain GESI disaggregated data and information about Palika level interventions under Objective 3 (Citizen Engagement theme).
- Encourage, guide, coach and monitor CSOs, citizen interest groups and their network to ensure inclusive participation of women, youth, and marginalized groups in different community level project interventions.
- Support the implementation of activities implemented through the challenge fund.
- Participate in team events as and when required.
- Conduct both professionally and personally to bring credit to USAID Nepal, Sajhedari-STF project and not to jeopardize its mission.
3. Qualifications, skills & experience:
- Bachelor's degree in rural development/sociology or relevant subject with at least two year's experience of working with CSOs and local governments.
- Relevant experience in citizen engagement, and civic oversight mechanism and procedure. Skill on community mobilization, demand side governance and accountabilityand capacity buildingwill be advantageous.
- Priority will be given to the local candidate of Dang District having good command on local languages and cultural sensitivity.
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex environments under tight deadlines and ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities.
- Basic knowledge on participatory research methods is essential to conduct Household Survey, Key Informant Interview and Focused Group Discussion etc.
- Well familiar in basic computer skill (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and Nepali typing skill). Good command in writing and speaking Nepali and English languages.
- Negotiation, networking, coordination,presentation skills with key local actors.
- Prior experience of working in governance project and familiar with social accountability tools/mechanismwould be an advantage.
- A person having valid bi-wheeler driving license is essential.
4. Duration: Initial for one year and extension is possible based on satisfactory performance.
5. Salary: Sajhedari offers competitive salaries based on its salary scale.
Interested candidates should apply electronically with their latest CV along with cover/motivation letter by June 15, 2021 in the following address. The candidates are required to indicate their expected salary and include at least two references.
Email address to send the application: email@example.com
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the interview.
- No telephone inquiries will be entertained with respect to this announcement.
Women candidates and candidates from disadvantaged groups/communities (Dalit, Janjati/Indigenous, Madheshi, Muslim, and LGBTIQ+) are encouraged to apply.
Any attempt to influence the decision will automatically lead to the disqualification from the process.