Chief of Party (COP), USAID/Nepal Localization Support proposal
Detailed Job description / requirements:
EnCompass LLC seeks experienced and dynamic Chief of Party (COP) candidates for an anticipated five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID) localization support activity to be based in Kathmandu, Nepal.
The $25-50M Localization Support activity will provide USAID/Nepal with technical assistance to strengthen the Mission’s ability to ensure that local actors are in the lead role for Nepal’s development. The activity will provide support for: capacity strengthening for local actors to apply, receive and manage USAID awards; strengthen the mission’s government to government (g2g) programming; and support USAID to improve localization programming.
In addition to providing overall leadership, management, operational and technical direction, the COP will leverage experience from leading activities that have strengthened the capacities of organizational structures, resulted in systems-level change, and that have support partner governments in planning, financing, and implementing sustainable development solutions. The COP will be responsible for strategic decision-making, quality control, and project learning, preferably in the USAID context and aligned with Collaboration, Learning and Adapting (CLA) and Local Capacity Strengthening Policy principles.
We are looking for someone who can facilitate learning and build relationships, with high political acumen and strong conflict prevention and management skills. They must be an inclusive leader, who can navigate change with flexibility and emotional resilience. The ideal candidate will take a facilitative approach to activity implementation and have demonstrated experience focusing on results and impact, with strong strategic vision and an understanding of systems approaches to programming. They will understand how to foster a culture of continuous improvement and learning and will maintain high self-awareness and personal improvement skills.
The position will be full-time and be based in Kathmandu with travel throughout the country.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
The COP will lead the Activity, providing technical guidance to and supervising both international and national staff and consultants. The COP will be the primary point of contact with USAID/Nepal staff, including the Contracting Officer and Contracting Officer’s Representation (CO/COR).
- Serve as the main point of contact for the Activity, including with USAID, team partners, and Activity stakeholders.
- Foster a culture of leadership at all levels among project team members and partners
- Establish and maintain highly collaborative working relationships with Nepali organizations and stakeholders, the Government of Nepal, USAID/Nepal and USAID/Washington, other donors, and USAID implementing partners as required.
- Provide overall strategic vision as well as operational leadership, including work planning, financial management, contract compliance and reporting.
- Manage the implementation team, ensuring technical capacity of staff and efficient coordination and collaboration with EnCompass Home Office resources and support teams.
- Identify issues and risks related to implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments.
- Ensure that all activities are undertaken in full compliance with EnCompass’ standard operating procedures, USAID policies and regulations, and national policies and laws.
- Ensure optimal use of human, financial, and physical resources to successfully meet project milestones, objectives, deliverables and targets.
- Responsible for the overall technical direction of the Activity, including strategy and program planning and adaption, evaluation, and learning
- Provide technical direction and supervision for senior personnel and ensure quality and timeliness of all deliverables
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective communications, networking, linkages to other programs, capacity strengthening of project staff, and institutional strengthening
- Ensure best practice and innovative approaches are integrated, and provide technical assistance and backstopping when required
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in all-staff meetings and other EnCompass events
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree and 12 years’ experience; or PhD and 10 years’ experience in international development/studies, business, or a related field required
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in the area of international development, grants and/or contracts management, and reporting for USAID projects and systems
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience supporting in similar COP or Project Director positions for activities of similar nature, size, and complexity for USAID
- Strong experience and knowledge of USAID funding requirements, grants and/or contracts policies, government to government programming
- Knowledge of USAID’s Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) Framework, Local Capacity Strengthening Policy, and localization commitments required.
- Familiarity with using organizational development and/or change management processes and practices in capacity strengthening efforts preferred.
- Significant experience mentoring and coaching staff and working with international and national consultants, staff and subcontractors.
- Strong knowledge of Nepal development context required; demonstrated experience and network with local organizations preferred.
- Experience managing complex relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including host country governments at different levels.
- Demonstrated leadership, strategic thinking/planning, communications, knowledge management, systems strengthening, organizational development, financial and risk management, and dynamic presentation skills required.
- Familiarity with USAID/Nepal Mission is preferred; local / regional candidates prioritized.
- Former supervisory experience required.
- Excellent communication skills in English (written and verbal) are required.
- Ability to travel within Nepal, as necessary.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter, and complete the application on the Careers & Consulting page at https://encompassworld.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/faf52e6b-d9f7-55e1-1d76-25a15196438c/apply?source=2425276-CS-52195
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
|Category||Development and Project|
|Salary||Based on experience|
|Position Type||Full Time|
|Position Level||Senior Level|
|Education||M. A. (Masters in Art), MBA, M.P.A. (Masters in Public Administration), Master’s degree in development studies, Master's Degree in Business Administration, Master's preferred|
|Posted Date||24 Mar, 2023|
|Apply Before||22 Apr, 2023|