Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc.
Rotavirus Accelerated Vaccine Introduction Network (RAVIN) – Nepal
Position:Immunization Technical Consultant, Supervision for New Vaccine Introduction
Place of work:Kathmandu, Nepal with extensive travel to district-level
Period of Performance:July 1,2018 to October1, 2018
LOE:60 days (approximately full-time)
JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is non-governmental public health institution that specializes in implementing high impact public health intervention across the globe. JSI is currently providing technical assistance in over 106 countries to a wide-range of health programs, including immunization, maternal and child health, family planning, supply chain, etc.
The International Vaccine Access Center (IVAC) has partnered with JSI and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on the Rotavirus Accelerated Vaccine Introduction Network (RAVIN) project. The objective of the RAVIN project is to support priority countries in the decision-making process on introduction of rotavirus vaccine (RVV) and, in those priority countries that decide to introduce, support the successful introduction of the vaccine into the routine immunization system. The project will engage advocates who are familiar with both barriers to and opportunities for progress in RVV introduction and will work closely with them, the Government of Nepal Ministry of Health, and partners on gathering key technical information, developing programmatic solutions, and providing targeted technical support to successful RVV introduction.
Purpose of the position
The Immunization Technical Consultant will assist the JSI Technical Advisor in achieving RAVIN Nepal project objectives and goals through working closely with Regional EPI managers and District EPI Supervisors from selected areas. S/he will be expected to plan and implement multiple field visits to the Regions and districtas identified by the JSI Technical Advisor, National EPI Manager and the Regional EPI Managers in order to observe and provide supportive feedback and on the job training aimed at ensuring high quality of rotavirus vaccine introduction as part of the routine immunization health system.
Under the guidance and direction of the Kathmandu-based JSI Immunization Technical Advisor, the consultant will:
- Provide technical guidance to help strengthen skills and capacities of health department of state government and District Health Officesin management of rotavirus vaccine introduction;
- Assist health department of state government and District level EPI teams to improve EPI related record keeping,information sharing, data quality and use;
- Support CSOs to engage in communication and demand generation for immunization service;
- Support to strengthen cold chain at district cold chain store and distribution center;
- Coordinate with the EPI partners at national and local level as required;
- Ensure proper use of IEC materials at different level.
- Carry out joint mentoring and supportive supervision field visits to high-priority areas (as identified in collaboration with JSI Technical Advisor, National EPI Director and Regional EPI Managers) to identify gaps and provide mentoring accordingly.
- Support EPI staff at state and county levels to improve data collection analysis and use for decision making to design and implement improvement strategies aimed at reaching the hardest to reach areas and ensure regular feedback to the counties and health facilities respectively.
- Assist State MoHs in planning and implementation of supportive supervision and follow-up on the supervisory visits' results.
- Where feasible, strengthen CSO's skills in rotavirus vaccine service delivery during planned supportive supervision visitsand provide On-Job-training (OJT) to CSOs to improve their skills in advocacy for demand generation and providing quality immunization services.
- Support capacity building of Regional MoHs to improve vaccines supply & management at lower level through strengthening inventory and reporting in order to visualize accountability issues on vaccine distribution in terms of how many rotavirus vaccines have been supplied, children vaccinated, and etc.
- Manage all administrative tasks and travel logistics related to performing job responsibilities, in accordance with JSI policies and procedures.
- Provide co-facilitation for key EPI trainings at all levels, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution in Nursing, Health System Management, Medicine, Public Health, Epidemiology or similar field.
- Diploma in above discipline or equivalent with minimum experiences of five years in EPI related activities at National, Regional or District level is desirable. Prior basic EPI related training is an asset.
- Basic computer knowledge of Microsoft Office tools, Excel, PowerPoint and internet services.
- Ability to logically plan and implement activities, monitor and evaluate outcomes.
- Good knowledge of English language, Nepali and local languages (if applicable)
- Highly motivated self-starter, able to work with minimum supervision
- Willingness to frequently travel and work at district and county level throughout Nepal.
- Flexibility and willingness to adjust to a changing responsibility at short notice.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and meet deadlines in all circumstances.
- Represent and serve the interest of JSI at every level in regard to the overall scope of work.
- Completed supervision checklist for each field visit, submitted to JSI and the EPI Manager within one week of each field visit.
- Completed trip report summarizing observations and recommendations, submitted to JSI and the EPI Manager within one week of each field visit.
- All administrative and financial documentation, including timesheet and expense reconciliation form and all required receipts, submitted within 1 week of any completed travel.
- Submit bi-weekly activity reports (during periods of active work).
To apply for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com .
JSI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. JSI reserves the right to interview candidates before the closing date.
|Full Time / Contract|
|B.Sc. / B.N. (Bachelors in Nursing)|
|19 Jun, 18|
|03 Jul, 18|