Senior Program Officer
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) promotes democratic stability by providing technical assistance and applying field-based research to the electoral cycle worldwide to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil societies, governance and transparency. Every IFES project is staffed by national and international staff while partnering with local organizations. This homegrown approach ensures that the expertise offered by IFES fits the needs of the country or client and the benefit of assistance outlasts the life of the project. Our work is nonpartisan and also includes projects that: Help citizens participate in their democracies Increase politicians' accountability to the electorate Strengthen government institutions Since its founding in 1987, IFES has worked in more than 100 countries - from developing democracies such as Liberia, to mature democracies such as the United States.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
The International Foundation for
Electoral Systems (IFES) is an international NGO that supports the building of
democratic societies around the world. Since 2006, IFES Nepal has worked with
the Election Commission of Nepal (ECN) and local civil society partners to
enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil society, governance and
IFES Nepal is seeking a Senior Program Officer to support
program implementation and develop activities for IFES Nepal’s support to the
ECN. This position will be under the supervision of the Country Director and
Deputy Country Director and will be full-time based in Kathmandu, with
potential for some travel outside Kathmandu.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Liaise closely as required with the Election Commission of Nepal (ECN) to support IFES’ ongoing technical assistance;
- Organize planning and implementation of civic and voter education and training activities with the ECN, including development of relevant materials;
- Coordinate the preparation of civic and voter education training materials, including manuals, timelines, budgets and presentations in Nepali language;
- Support and coordinate the implementation of trainings at the central, regional and local level through coordination with ECN staff and training venues and ensure services are provided as required;
- Contribute in preparing presentations, briefing notes, status reports, draft research and policy papers, technical reports/studies on IFES’ technical assistance topics;
- Coordinate with ECN counterparts for the implementation ECN's Strategic Plan, Gender and Inclusion Policy, Social Media Policy and other strategies as requested;
- Support and coordinate the planning, administration and logistics for special events, conferences or workshops;
- Provide guidance and oversight to other program staff as directed by the Country Director and Deputy Country Director;
- Work collaboratively with IFES technical experts and partners as needed; and
- Provide any other support as requested by the Country Director and Deputy Country Director.
- Master’s degree in political science, international relations or a related field required;
- At least 6 years or comparable experience working in an international environment, ideally with significant experience in implementing democratic development projects and international program management;
- Fluency in English and Nepali, both written and oral;
- Experience working on donor-funded programs, including USAID programs, preferred;
- Experience working on civic or voter education or a related field;
- Experience with training or facilitation preferred;
- A high level of self-motivation and ability to work autonomously within a fast-paced environment;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Ability to take initiative and work within tight deadlines;
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Programs, Excel, Internet) required; and
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to make independent decisions.
This position is opened for Nepali nationals only. Qualified and interested candidates are requested to send their application with an updated CV and two professional references to: email@example.com with clearly mentioning the position in the subject line you are applying for. The application submission deadline is 4:00 PM, Wednesday, March 17, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for selection processes. Women, people with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantaged communities are highly encouraged to apply.