Municipal Planning Specialist
DAI was founded in 1970 by three graduates of Harvard Universities Kennedy School of Government intent on providing a more dynamic and effective brand of development assistance. This entrepreneurial approach would look beyond traditional philanthropy to embrace the virtues of the private sector, and build a company that delivers social and economic development on a competitive, cost-effective, best-value basis a social enterprise that is self-sustaining because it is profitable. Employee-owned DAI is now a global development company with a record of delivering results in 160 countries. But it remains today what it was as a start-up: innovative, alert, self-critical, and forward-looking and driven by a powerful sense of corporate purpose. Our mission remains essentially unchanged from the days of the founders. Job Opportunities DAI offers rewarding career opportunities for talented technical, managerial, and support professionals. By providing challenging assignments, a commitment to professional development, managerial systems based on teamwork, and an ownership stake in the company, we attract and retain high-caliber staff. Our workforce reflects a cultural diversity that gives us a broad spectrum of backgrounds and perspectives. www.dai.com
Detailed Job description / requirements:
USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project
Request for Applications- Municipal Planning Specialist
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments. More information about DAI can be found on the DAI website ( www.dai.com ).
DAI seeks a Municipal Planning Specialist for the USAID Tayar Nepal Improved Disaster Risk Management Project.
Applicants should apply via Formsite at this link by no later than August 31, 2019 : https://fs9.formsite.com/daisuppliers/oiuh9cdwcn/index.html
Select the position in which you are interested in applying for, fill out the required information and upload CV. Only finalist candidates will be contacted. No phone calls or in-person applications will be accepted. Positions are for Nepal Nationals only.
Detail Scope of Work:
Position: Municipal Planning Specialist
Level of Effort, Location and Reporting : One Year Full-time, Fixed Term Contract, with possibility of extension until the close of the project
Period of Performance: on/about October 1, 2019 – September 30, 2020
Base of Operations: Kathmandu, with travel to priority Tayar municipalities
USAID/Nepal’s Tayar Nepal – Improved Disaster Risk Management Project will strengthen the capacity of Nepal’s national and municipal institutions responsible for disaster preparedness and response. In a country prone to a myriad of natural disasters, at the national level Tayar Nepal will build the capacity of disaster risk management (DRM) institutions, including the newly created National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA). Locally, Tayar will support eight urban municipalities to develop risk-sensitive land use plans and then support the prioritization and implementation of a set of technical assistance packages improve disaster resilience. In the event of a disaster over the life of the five-year project, USAID/Nepal may engage the program’s rapid emergency response mechanism. Tayar will work closely with the Government of Nepal and Nepali emergency responders to mobilize technical assistance, commodity support, small-scale infrastructure, and information management support. Tayar will apply lessons learned from disaster response efforts to improve national-level DRM systems and municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
The Municipal Planning Specialist is a Key Personnel position and will provide technical and managerial oversight of Tayar’s municipal-level activities, specifically the development and implementation of participatory municipal land-use planning processes and customized technical assistance packages. S/he will supervise the Eastern and Western Field Team Directors who manage Tayar’s network of municipal-level Disaster Risk Management Assistance Centers (DRMACs). Moreover, the Municipal Planning Specialist will ensure lessons learned from utilizing Tayar’s rapid emergency response mechanism are used to adaptively manage Tayar’s approach to municipal-level risk-reduction activities.
- Facilitate the program’s municipal-level activities under Component 2: Building Capacity at the Municipal Level.
- With COP, facilitate municipal selection and municipal twinning partners.
- With DRMAC staff (Municipal Mobilizers, urban planners and engineers) and Action Fund Managers, oversee implementation of customized technical assistance packages in target municipalities.
- Supervise the Risk Sensitive Land Use Planning (RSLUP) Manager, Field Team Director West, and Field Team Director East.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with relevant Government of Nepal and DRM stakeholder representatives.
- Monitor policy and political changes that potentially affect implementation or delivery and propose mitigation measures.
- Provide high-quality contributions to technical deliverables including annual work plans and progress reporting.
- At least 15 years of experience in urban land use planning and infrastructure development. Construction management preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of supervisory experience, including at least 5 years managing field-level project implementation on donor-funded programs.
- Understanding of national and municipal disaster response frameworks and working with Government of Nepal counterparts.
- Strong knowledge of the political, social, and economic context of Nepal
- University degree in in urban planning, engineering, economics or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Level of Effort, Location and Reporting:
The level of effort is 260 days per year. The employment contract will be on a yearly basis, with possible extensions until the close of the project. The Municipal Planning Specialist reports to the Deputy Chief of Party. The position is based in Kathmandu, with travel to priority Tayar municipalities.
“Women and people from marginalized communities are highly encouraged to apply”