The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) promotes democratic stability by providing technical assistance and applying field-based research to the electoral cycle worldwide to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil societies, governance and transparency. Every IFES project is staffed by national and international staff while partnering with local organizations. This homegrown approach ensures that the expertise offered by IFES fits the needs of the country or client and the benefit of assistance outlasts the life of the project. Our work is nonpartisan and also includes projects that: Help citizens participate in their democracies Increase politicians' accountability to the electorate Strengthen government institutions Since its founding in 1987, IFES has worked in more than 100 countries - from developing democracies such as Liberia, to mature democracies such as the United States.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is an international NGO that supports the building of democratic societies around the world through technical assistance to electoral stakeholders to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil society, governance and transparency.
IFES Nepal is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of IT Consultant. Under the guidance of the IFES Nepal Country Director and Deputy Country Director, the IT Consultant will support IFES’ work with the Election Commission, Nepal (ECN) on the ECN’s IT systems and election technology support. This position will be full time and the consultant will work both in the ECN headquarters office and IFES Nepal’s office in Kathmandu.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the ECN’s IT Department to maintain its servers and network infrastructure;
- Provide mentoring and capacity building support to the ECN’s IT Department staff;
- Support the ECN’s IT processes for the collection, update, consolidation, quality control, analysis, security and extraction of voter registration data;
- Support the ECN to maintain and update its IT systems, including but not limited to those for voter registration, the Integrated Electoral Information Management System (IEIMS), the ECN website, mobile apps, communication and connectivity technology between District Offices and headquarters, ECN social media platforms and Electoral Education and Information Centre systems;
- Provide advice and technical backstopping on IT for field operations including the District Offices;
- Support the ECN’s IT Department to provide data analyses and data extraction from ECN IT systems as needed;
- Work with the ECN to identify and suggest future election technology needs;
- Support the ECN in the planning, development, administration, training and logistics for its technology (both software & hardware);
- Support the ECN to
ensure cybersecurity best practices are identified and followed;
- Support on data backup and recovery processes;
- Provide feedback on customization and regular maintenance of existing software, mobile apps, ECN websites and other IT systems in the ECN;
- Support ECN to prepare Terms of Reference (TOR), technical specifications, request for proposal/tender document for any IT related procurement (both software and hardware);
- Update IFES Country Director and Deputy Country Director on project activities on a regular basis and provide written reports as required to IFES and ECN management.
Skills and Requirements:
- Master's degree in Computer Engineering /Computer Science/Information Technology/ software Engineering or other IT-related field;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience working in IT or computer science;
- Experience in database management and data analysis including exposure with information security and cryptographic mechanisms;
- · Experience working on voter registration and/or election-related projects preferred;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to mentor and develop staff;
- Attention to detail and well organized;
- Good communication skills in Nepali and English;
- Sound skill on Technical Documentation and
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders; experience working and supporting with government institutions preferred.
The position is open to Nepali nationals only. Qualified and interested candidates are requested to send their application and an updated CV with name of two references and contact details to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application submission deadline is 4:00 PM, September 18, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates
will be contacted for selection processes. Undue influence at any stage of the
processes will lead to automatic disqualification. Women, people with disabilities,
marginalized and disadvantaged
communities are highly encouraged to apply.