Immunization Technical Advisor - Consultant
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Position: Immunization Technical Advisor - Consultant
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Level of Effort: Full Time
Time Frame: August 2019 – February 29, 2020
Reporting to: Senior Immunization Technical Advisor
JSI has partnered with the International Vaccine Access Center (IVAC) and the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on the Rotavirus Accelerated Vaccine Introduction Network (RAVIN) Project. The objective of the RAVIN project is to support priority countries in the decision making process on introduction of rotavirus vaccine (RVV) and, in those priority countries that decide to introduce, support the successful introduction of the vaccine into the routine immunization system. The project will engage advocates who are familiar with both barriers to and opportunities for progress in RVV introduction and will work closely with them and the in-country MoH and partner colleagues on gathering key technical information, developing programmatic solutions, and providing targeted technical support to the successful introduction of the rotavirus vaccine.
RAVIN is seeking a consultant to act as a Technical Advisor to be based in Kathmandu who will serve as the RAVIN focal point supporting the MoH/National EPI and implementing partners (especially WHO and UNICEF) with national and sub-national level preparations for RVV introduction. The TA will provide expertise as part of the working groups with the preparations, coordination and implementation of RVV rollout, including providing technical input to planning, management, coordination, training, and monitoring of the introduction.
The Technical Advisor will carry out the following activities in support of Nepal’s readiness to introduce RVV into the national system in November/December 2019:
- Collaborate closely with partners on behalf of the RAVIN network to provide technical support for the planning, implementation and monitoring of preparations for the rotavirus vaccine introduction. This will include establishing and maintaining active contact as a technical advisor with the MOH and EPI as well as with the ICC (notably WHO and UNICEF) and NCIP members and other key partners supporting the vaccine introduction and diarrheal disease prevention and control.
- As needed, actively contribute to multi-agency sub-committees/technical working groups (e.g. for training, communication, and/or logistics) for the RVV introduction.
- In close collaboration with Unicef, the MOH and other communication partners, provide technical assistance to the design/development and roll-out of a RVV communications strategy (in English and Nepalese);
- Support national planning and development and tracking of microplans and activity timelines and milestones for RVV roll-out and monitoring;
- Support capacity building of health workers at all levels, including providing technical assistance to development of training materials, facilitation of training of trainers and monitoring of roll out of sub-national level trainings;
- Communicate regularly (e.g. via email, weekly teleconference calls, Skype) with the RAVIN/HQ team, notably the focal points supporting Nepal
- Work with the JSI/RAVIN team on other project planning and implementation, and other duties as assigned;
- Masters degree in public health or equivalent and a minimum 5-7 years working in the field of international public health; Degree in Medicine (MBBS) is desirable;
- At least 5 years direct experience providing technical assistance specifically for routine immunization at national or sub-national level;
- Demonstrated ability in developing training materials and job aids for health workers at different levels of the health system;
- In-depth knowledge of and ability to navigate the MoH/EPI system in Nepal and to liaise with partners such as WHO, UNICEF, etc.
- Ability to work independently and in groups, to manage multiple tasks concurrently, and to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills--demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse colleagues and clients;
- Fluent in Nepalese. Excellent written and oral communication in English;
- Nepal National
- Willingness to travel to sub-national level up to 20% of the time
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 10% of the time on an as-needed basis
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by August 27, 2019. In the subject line, please indicate the title of the position you are applying for, or your application will not be reviewed. No phone calls please.