Field Researcher and Translator Position â€“ A
Transcultural Psychosocial Organization Nepal (TPO Nepal) is one of Nepal’s leading psychosocial organization. It was established in 2005 with the aim of promoting psychosocial well-being and mental health of children and families in conflict affected and other vulnerable communities. TPO Nepal is a knowledge-driven, innovative organization working in areas disrupted by violence and poverty. We strive to develop local psychosocial, mental health and conflict resolution capacity and systems that promote community resilience, quality of life and self-reliance through education, research, service delivery and advocacy.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Field Researcher and Translator Position – A
TRANSCULTURAL PSYCHOSOCIAL ORGANIZATION (TPO) NEPAL is a leading NGO, established in 2005, working on psychosocial and mental health research, intervention design and implementation, capacity building and service provision.
TPO-Nepal announces one opening for a position as a research assistant and translator for a research project. The research intends to study the feasibility and acceptability of culturally adapted Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for suicide prevention in rural Nepal. The position is full time for approximately 6 months with anticipated start date at end of May, 2014. The position is based predominantly in Kathmandu with an estimated 25% time commitment for travel to Jumla. The selected candidate will work closely with the research officer and will independently conduct following activities:-
- Setting up meetings for focus group discussions and interviews with research participants.
- Coordinating and facilitating all focus group discussions and interviews during the adaptation stage (2-3 focus groups and 25 interviews)
- Conducting mental health assessments and interviews with patients during the assessment period (weekly assessments and interviews every 2-4 weeks)
- Coordination of research activities in Jumla & Kathmandu
- Electronic transcription and translation of all interviews and focus groups personally conducted.
- Translation of training materials (English to Nepali)
- Providing logistical support for communication, printing, photocopying, and local purchases for research team.
- Abiding by ethical conduct in a nature compliant with research human subjects protection and TPO professionalism.
The required competencies includes:-
· Proficiency in spoken and written English
· Proficiency in interview translation (Nepali-English and English-Nepali)
· Proficiency in written translation (Nepali-English and English-Nepali)
· Proficiency in typing (English& Nepali – Preeti, Shreenath Bold font)
· Proficiency in using basic office package – Microsoft Word, Excel.
· Proficiency in qualitative analysis software (Preferred, but not required)
· Completion of a bachelor’s degree in related field (individuals with a Master’s degree will be given preference)
Prior experience in research, especially qualitative methods and working and living in rural areas of Nepal, is preferred. In addition, the applicant should have an interest in mental health and psychosocial issues. Prior experience with qualitative software such as NVivo is preferred but not required. Preference will be given to candidates who have completed a Master’s degree in clinical psychology or a related health or social science field. Salary will depend on prior research experience and level of education completed.
To apply, please send a curriculum vitae and a letter of intent with subject head as "Application for the post of Field Researcher and Translator – A" to firstname.lastname@example.org by 22nd April, 2014.
|Education||B. A. (Bachelors in Art)|
|Posted Date||09 Apr, 2014|
|Apply Before||22 Apr, 2014|