Field Research Technician (ISFM)
Details / requirements:
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The CIMMYT is seeking an experienced professional to support Nepal Seed and Fertilizer (NSAF) project funded by USAID. The project promotes the use of improved seeds and Integrated Soil Fertility Management technologies approved and registered by the Government of Nepal. The Project will specifically increase availability of technologies to improve productivity in maize, rice, lentils, and high value vegetable farming. The project also works to improve capacity of both the public and private sectors in their respective roles for technology development and its in-country dissemination. Details of position, location and TOR for the position is below and can be found at www.jobsnepal.com.
Terms of Reference
Position Title: Field Research Technician (ISFM)
Reference Number: N22244
Project: Nepal Seed and Fertilizer Project (NSAF)
Duty Post: Field Based
Field Research Technician (FRT) is responsible for supporting the promotion of integrated soil fertility management (ISFM) practices and 4R’s of nutrient stewardship through agro-vet, agricultural cooperatives, local government and development partners in the various project activities; arrangement of logistics, conduct field trials, demonstrations, farmer’s field days and trainings.
Specifically, she/he will be responsible to perform the following jobs:
- Support the identification of beneficiaries and distribution of soil health cards to target farmer groups.
- Organize training on crop BMP’s and 4Rs in collaboration with cooperatives, and agrovets.
- Support field activities under the maize commercial model (MCM) and conduct effective networking and engagement with key project personnel from public, private and cooperatives.
- Conduct fertilizer trials and demonstrations with new fertilizer products such as Nano urea on NSAF targeted crops.
- Organize farmers field days (FFD) in demonstration plots to illustrate the performance of new fertilizers and compare with farmers practices. Collect farmers perception on new fertilizer products.
- Coordinate with cooperatives, GoN officials, agrovets, development partners at local level to implement project activities.
- Monitor field activities, collect field data and provide feedback to RA at regular basis.
- Participate in project's beneficiary-based survey (BBS), identify clusters and provide farmers list and supervise enumerators during field survey in respective districts.
- Assist in organizational survey to capture targeted yield, area coverage, volume of sales through collaborators (cooperatives, agrovets, PMAMP super-zones).
- Facilitate farmers to use ICT tools (sms and app) to follow up the training activities so that project BMPs are disseminated to farmers.
- Collect field data (trials, demos, socio economic survey etc.) and submit to ARAs and RA.
- Compile field report and submit on a bi-weekly basis to supervisor.
- Perform other duties as and when required by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications, Skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor's degree in agriculture (agronomy or soil science or other closely related discipline).
- At least five years of working experience in promoting and facilitating agriculture extension.
- Demonstrated experience in field work, data collection, training and activity implementation with end-users.
- Knowledge of integrated soil fertility management principles an advantage.
- Able to operate MS office computer packages and other data analysis tools.
- Excellent work ethics and demonstrated potential to work independently with minimal supervision and to work in inter-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to undertake multiple tasks and work under strict deadlines.
- Good proficiency in written and spoken English language.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Problem Solving, Critical Thinking, Communication, Teamwork, and Client Orientation.
- Valid motorcycle driving license, preferred.
Candidates must go through the link below and submit the application with detailed information no later than January 25th, 2023.
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.