Founded in 2004, Build Change is an innovative international non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. We do that by designing disaster-resistant houses and schools; training homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them; working with governments to develop and implement building standards; partnering with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs; and facilitating access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change is the recipient of multiple awards, including a 2017 Skoll Foundation Award for Social Entrepreneurship, OpenIDEO Urban Resilience Challenge Winner, and was a top three finalist in IBM’s inaugural Call for Code Developer Challenge in 2018. To learn more about us and our programs in Colombia, Nepal, the Philippines and the Caribbean, visit www.buildchange.org.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Build Change is seeking engineering Trainees to participate in its technical assistance and training programs in Nepal. We offer an opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience in design, supervision and project management in international disaster response/disaster risk reduction programs. Build Change is flexible for the term and start date of the Traineeship, but requires a minimum six months’ commitment.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the existing structural engineering design resources, and of those developed by Build Change, for use in Nepal.
- With local staff, aid in the application of these resources to provide technical assistance to homeowners to design safe houses, supervise construction, and train builders in disaster-resistant construction practices.
- Check design documents, drawings, bills of quantity, and construction inspection checklists.
- Assist in solving problems and generating solutions in the field for special cases.
- Assist with the development of Build Change technical resources.
- Assist in the development and implementation of training for local engineers, architects, drafters, and other technical staff.
- Promote good communication between the technical group and other departments within Build Change.
- At least 3 years of study toward a bachelorâ€level degree in engineering at a reputable institution.
- Recent graduates and Master’s candidates are also encouraged to apply.
- Interest in earthquakeâ€resistant design and construction of masonry, concrete and timber buildings.
- A basic understanding of good construction practices and the principles of earthquake- and wind-resistant construction. Familiarity with international building codes and guidelines, such as the IBC, ASCE 7, ASCE 41, ACI 318, NDS for wood construction, ACI 530, etc. is a plus.
- Good communication skills and excellent teamwork abilities.
- Willingness to work in informal, dense urban or remote rural communities.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, AutoCAD and Revit.
- No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
- Proficiency in English is a plus.
To Apply please go to below link and follow instruction