Election Support Consultant
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) promotes democratic stability by providing technical assistance and applying field-based research to the electoral cycle worldwide to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil societies, governance and transparency. Every IFES project is staffed by national and international staff while partnering with local organizations. This homegrown approach ensures that the expertise offered by IFES fits the needs of the country or client and the benefit of assistance outlasts the life of the project. Our work is nonpartisan and also includes projects that: Help citizens participate in their democracies Increase politicians' accountability to the electorate Strengthen government institutions Since its founding in 1987, IFES has worked in more than 100 countries - from developing democracies such as Liberia, to mature democracies such as the United States.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is an international NGO that supports the building of democratic societies around the world. Since 2006, IFES Nepal has worked with the Election Commission of Nepal (ECN) and local civil society partners to enhance citizen participation and strengthen civil society, governance and transparency.
For the support of the activities planned for the upcoming federal and provincial elections in November 2022, IFES Nepal is seeking applications from qualified, dynamic and competent candidates for the position of Election Support Consultant. The consultant will support program implementation, research, report writing, as well as implementation of trainings and voter education activities for IFES’ work with the ECN. This Consultant position will be under the supervision of the Country Director and Deputy Country Director and will be full-time.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Liaise closely as required with the ECN to support IFES’ ongoing electoral support;
- Support research and report writing on electoral topics;
- Organize the planning, administration and logistics for special events, conferences or workshops;
- Provide support for the implementation of voter education activities;
- Provide support to the ECN during and leading up to election period;
- Collaborate with IFES technical experts, consultants, the ECN and CSO partners as needed;
- Perform and review translations of legal and nonlegal documents, as required;
- Support capacity building and other IFES/ECN/CSO activities, as required;
- Provide guidance and oversight to other program staff as directed by the Country Director/Deputy Country Director.
Minimum Qualification and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, political science, international relations or a related field, Master’s degree preferred;
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience in international development or related field, preferably working with an international organization;
- Strong knowledge of Nepal’s electoral system and processes;
- Experience with legal review and legal research preferred;
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office programs, Excel, Internet) are required;
- Initiative, drive and strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently in support of a team;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Fluency in English and Nepali, both written and oral, and excellent communication skills are required.
This position is open to Nepali nationals only. Qualified and interested candidates are requested to send an application and updated CV with two professional references to: email@example.com, including the position title in the subject line. The application submission deadline is at 4:00 PM on August 25, 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for selection processes. Women, people with disabilities marginalized and disadvantaged communities are highly encouraged to apply.