Consultant – Data Cleaning
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Statement of Work
Date: 22April 2021
Project name: USAID Medicines, Technologies, and Pharmaceutical Services (MTaPS) Program
Area: Short term technical assistance to support Department of Drug Administration to improve quality of Registration Data
Title: Consultant – Data Cleaning
Estimated Period of Performance:10 months: from May 2021 to February 2022
Funded by the U.S. Agency For International Development (USAID), the Medicines, Technologies and Pharmaceutical Services (MTaPS) Program implemented by Management Sciences for Health, aims to strengthen pharmaceutical systems in 15 countries including in Nepal. The goal of the global, five-year program is to enable low-and middle-income countries to strengthen their pharmaceutical systems to ensure sustainable access to and appropriate use of safe, effective, quality-assured, and affordable essential medicines and medicine-related pharmaceutical services.
The Department of Drug Administration (DDA) has the role of ensuring good quality, safe, and effective medicines and medical products that are used appropriately in Nepal. It is important for the DDA to have a well-functioning management information system (MIS) that support the DDA roles and responsibilities at the central and decentralized levels.
Presently the Drugs Administration Management System (DAMS) is used to capture registration data and information. However, not all information relevant for the registration has been captured into DAMS and there ares till many registration documentations in hard copy that needs to be uploaded into the DAMS to make the information easily retrievable and complete. MTaPS is implementing new robust MIS, “Pharmadex”, in which all information and documentation related to the registration of industries, pharmacies, and medicines can be uploaded and stored. Information from DAMS and hardcopies need to be imported into Pharmadex while at the same time the information needs to be quality assured and verified.
MSH is seeking a consultant in support of MTaPS’s program in Nepal.
Description of Services to be provided
The consultant will support DDA to develop data collection format and policy to capture all registration information of industries, medicines and pharmacies from the existing IT system -DAMS- and hardcopies, verify DAMS data with hard copy registered industries, medicines and pharmacies, cleaning of data and prepare data to import into Pharmadex. The consultant will also need to take responsibility for scanning and entering hard copy documentation and cleaning of data and preparing data to import into Pharmadex. The consultant will be responsible for quality assurance and verification of the data imported from DAMS to Pharmadex; scanning of hardcopies to active items in Pharmadex. S/he will work in close coordination and collaboration with the DDA and the MTaPS Senior Technical Advisor- MIS.
The consultant will undertake the following activities:
- Capture all relevant registration information of industries, medicines and pharmacies from DAMS including hardcopies at DDA central and provincial offices.
- Compile, clean and verify registered information of industries, medicines and pharmacies at the registration division of DDA.
- Aggregate and clean all registration data of industries, medicines and pharmacies from multiple data files and sources.
- Identify and correct inaccuracies in the underlying registered data of industries, medicines and pharmacies.
- Prepare excel/CSV file of all integrated hardcopy and softcopy registration information to import into Pharmadex
- Work closely with the MTaPS Senior Technical Adviser-MIS to prepare datasets and improve data quality before these data are imported into Pharmadex
- Check quality and make corrections of the data in Pharmadex after the data has been imported
- Enter hard copy information into Pharmadex of missing data, scan relevant hard copy documents and upload to the case file in Pharmadex
The consultant will be primarily located at the DDA and follow DDA working hours.
- Preferably a pharmacy degree
- At least 3 years working experience in the health sector, DDA, industry, drug registration or similar.
- Good understanding of the health sector, role of the regulatory authorities and medical industry and if possible, experience in working with DAMS.
- Documented expertise in IT systems and if possible working experience in management information systems
- Ability to organize the own work with minimum supervision
- Ability to write and prepare reports, training materials, documents and presentation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
The interested candidate possessing above qualification and experiences are requested to apply with the following details at email@example.com
- An updated CV including three references