Consultancy Service for Preparing Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan
Detailed Job description / requirements:
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Consultancy Service for Preparing Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan
1. INTRODUCTION AND CONTEXT
Nepal Red Cross Society Siraha (NRCS Siraha) district chapter was established in 1985 to work on humanitarian assistance and development fields following NRCS constitution. NRCS has been supporting the disaster affected or needy people and households in the district with different programs related to relief, response and recovery, community-based disaster risk reduction, community development, livelihood, community health and WASH, early warning etc. NRCS Siraha is the District Lead Support Agency (DLSA) for providing necessary and coordination to the local government in disaster preparedness, response and recovery, disaster information management, documentation and reporting.
SAKSHAM, a two-year program financially supported by United States Agency for International Development – Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance (USAID/BHA) and technically supported by Lutheran World Relief (LWR) is focused in strengthening resilience of the most vulnerable and marginalized communities in Saptari and Siraha with primary focus on Risk Management Policy and Practice, Agriculture and Food Security and Economic Recovery and Market Systems. Risk Management Policy and Practice will support municipal wards and communities in DRR plans, policies and activities designed to strengthen preparedness, risk mitigation, response and recovery capacities. Similarly, Agriculture and Food Security will ensure that the marginalized and subsistence farmers in the area have increased knowledge, skills and access to climate smart agriculture practices that reduces losses due to adverse climatic conditions and increases their productivity to support in food security and income generation. The Economic Recovery and Market Systems shall link the flood vulnerable farmers to market system and safety nets (insurance, saving and credit, supply chain etc.) for strengthening financial resilience for better preparedness, response and recovery. The holistic approach on community resilience includes better coordination and partnership among the communities, local government and private sectors for disaster risk reduction and management.
NRCS Siraha as an implementing partner of SAKSHAM project is responsible for overall management and delivery of the project at local level; 3 municipalities, 9 wards and 18 communities. NRCS Siraha under SAKSHAM project is looking for registered firms or individuals for preparing Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan of total 9 wards (3 wards each of Siraha, Kalyanpur and Karjanha municipalities)in accordance with the Government of Nepal, Disaster Risk Reduction National Strategic Plan of Action (DRRNSPA) 2018-2030.
2. CONSULTANCY SERVICE PURPOSE
The purpose of this consultancy service is to procure technical service for preparing Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan of 9 wards, 3 wards each of Siraha, Kalyanpur and Karjanha municipalities in accordance with the Government of Nepal Disaster Risk Reduction National Strategic Plan of Action 2018-2030.
3. WORK SCOPE AND DELIVERABLES
SCOPE OF WORK
The scope of work can be summarized as:
- To carry out necessary literature review and desk study for developing a framework for Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan
- To carry out necessary survey, data collection and analysis for preparing ward level DRR strategic action plan.
- To work in close coordination with the municipality and ward officials for gathering necessary data and information related to the ward level hazards, risks, vulnerabilities, demographics, geography and resources.
- To engage local ward representatives and stakeholders (CDMC members, NGOs, CBOs, farmers groups, women groups etc.) in drafting the ground based DRR strategic action plan that incorporates identified local hazards, risks, vulnerabilities, vulnerable groups, resources etc. and provides clear target-based action plan for multi hazard disaster risk reduction policy framework, stakeholders engagement, resource generation and leveraging and progress mapping indicators.
- To draft the Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan in accordance with the Government of Nepal, Disaster Risk Reduction National Strategic Plan of Action 2018-2030 that clearly guides the target ward offices and municipalities for the policy framework and action plan (immediate, midterm 2-5 years and 5-8 years) such that the ward level achieves the strategy and targets as envisioned in DRRNSPA.
- To prepare indicator-based monitoring tool for tracking the progress of the Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan.
- Collect feedback on the draft Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan from the communities/CDMCs, local government representatives and stakeholders and other concerned organizations and finalize it.
- Facilitate municipal level sharing workshops for the process adopted for data collection and verification and the strategic action plan.
The major deliverables and tasks of the consultant shall be
- Ground based Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan of 9 wards of Siraha, Kalyanpur and Karjanha municipalities in Siraha.
- Indicator based monitoring tool for tracking the progress of the action plan.
- Facilitate 3 workshops at municipal level for sharing the action plan, process and its implementation.
5. ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
NRCS Sirahashall be responsible for
- Providing managerial support in coordination with municipalities, ward offices, government and non-government organizations for data collection and linkages for the consultant.
- Providing field-based support (introduction to key informants, CDMCs members, ward representatives etc.) in gathering primary and secondary data for the consultant.
- Support inorganizing meetings with ward representatives, CDMCs, CBOs and other stakeholders during the process. NRCS shall cover the financial expenses occurred during such meetings.
- Organizing the workshop for sharing the Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan.
- Tracking the consultants field progress, providing feedback and comments for completion of the assigned task. The consultant has to consider the feedback from Lutheran World Relief and USAID too in finalizing the documents too.
The consultant shall be responsible for
- Carrying out research, literature review, desk study etc. for finalizing the contents, data collection methods, analysis etc. of the Ward Level DRR Strategic Action Plan.
- Leading the technical and managerial aspects in preparing the strategic action plan.
- Coordinating among District Disaster Management Committee, Municipalities, Ward Offices, NRCS Siraha, Lutheran World Relief, CDMCs, etc for gathering necessary information and data and engaging them in the strategic action plan drafting process.
- Incorporating the feedback from concerned agencies (DDMC, Municipalities, ward offices, CDMCs, NRCS Siraha, Lutheran World Relief, USAID, etc.) and finalizing the plan.
- Preparing indicator-based monitoring tool for tracking the progress of the action plan.
- The consultant shall be responsible for all the expenditures occurred for field travel and logistics.
6. BUDGET, TIMELINE, AND DAYS REQUIRED
- The consultancy service shall be procured on a price competitive basis considering the technical quality and time frame.
- The consultant has to complete the assigned responsibility within 3 months (May – July 2021). The number of days for completing the assignment has to be proposed by the consultant.
- The consultant has to submit a detailed work plan along with the table of contents and the data collection method along with the EoI. The shortlisted consultants would be requested to make a presentation before final selection.
- The payment of the consultancy service shall be made in instalments finalized with the successful consultant.
7. CONSULTANT QUALIFICATIONS AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Consultancy firms or individuals who meet the following criteria are eligible to submit an expression of interest.
- Should be duly registered in Nepal for providing such services.
- Demonstrated experience of preparing local level DRR plans and policies.
Interested individual or firms are requested to submit a complete bid document as given in the attachment along with
- A technical concept note including (but not limited to) table of contents, data collection methods and data and information verification, work plan, limitations.
- Registration certificate (as applicable)
- Profile of the consultantfirm clearly highlight experiences of similar work
- CV of the experts mobilized under the consultancy service.
- Tax clearance certificate
- Supporting documents of evidence as appropriate
The consultancy firms or individuals willing to make an expression of interest can send the complete set of (sealed) documents by email to email@example.com or handed over to the reception of NRCS Siraha office, Siraha by 19 April 2021 within office time. The potential bidders can request for any further clarification on the information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 033-521077