Business and Market Systems Director
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Business and Market Systems Director
LOCATION: Kathmandu, Nepal
UNIT: Agriculture, Resilience and Water
REPORTS TO: DCOP/Agriculture
KISAN II is a seven-year, USD 37.6 million project that contributes to the Government of Nepal (GON)’s Agricultural Development Strategy (ADS). KISAN II facilitates systemic change in the agricultural sector, including: (1) greater climate-smart intensification of staple crops and diversification into higher value commodities; (2) strengthening of local market systems to support more competitive and resilient value chains and agricultural-related businesses and (3) improving the enabling environment for agricultural and market systems development. As part of a 24-month supplemental scope (extension), KISAN II is supporting the GON’s response to the impact of COVID-19 in agriculture and is promoting transformation in the fine rice and industrial maize sub-sectors. The project will coordinate closely with the private sector and the GON’s Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development. KISAN II will focus its effort in 8 districts (Kanchanpur, Kailali, Banke, Bardiya, Surkhet, Dang, Palpa and Kapilvastu) during the extension phase.
KISAN II seeks a self-motivated and dynamic Business and Market Systems Director to lead activities related to strengthening the competitiveness, resilience, and inclusiveness of agricultural market systems as well as to ensure the application of market principles to project interventions.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify potential opportunities offered by private sector buyers in end market(s);
- Design and implement interventions that leverage the interconnections between farmers and rice mills, feed companies, and aggregators to strengthen their commercial networks.
- Proactively engage a network of private actors (including SMEs) and other stakeholders such as financial institutions, insurance companies, government agencies, business membership organizations, and business development service providers to work towards cohesive sectoral growth.
- Analyze and enable relationships among actors that translate into shared benefits to incentivize private and public investment in the agriculture sector in Nepal.
- Supervise and provide strategic direction to KISAN II business and market systems team to implement interventions and activities.
- Contribute high-level strategy towards achievement of project objectives and targets.
- Lead the rice and maize sector interventions and activities under Market Systems Component in project years 6 and 7.
- Develop implementation strategy on: a. private sector partner management; b. capacity development of partners; c. market infrastructure; d. agri-mechanization; and e. finance, insurance, and digital sector.
- Lead, motivate, guide, and provide strategic directions to program team to implement and monitor sector-level interventions and activities.
- Identify research and sub-contract needs to support the sector, partnerships, and promote innovations.
- Devise a scale-up strategy to promote business models implemented in fine rice and industrial maize sub-sectors, including displacement mitigation strategy.
- Work closely with different units of KISAN II such as grants team, monitoring and evaluation team, finance and admin team, communications team, and Winrock HQ to effectively implement activities and amplify successes.
- Conduct periodic travel to KISAN II field offices to work with KISAN II staff and private sector partners, as well as liaise with provincial and municipal government.
Education: M.A. or equivalent university degree in Economics, Business, Agribusiness, or related field.
Experience: The ideal candidate will have the following experience:
- At least 7 years of experience working in agribusiness development; experience working directly with private sector greatly preferred.
- Proven ability to foster and maintain partnerships, particularly with private sector actor and government.
- Demonstrated experience in business strengthening within value chains (especially for fine rice and industrial maize)
- This position will require candidate to write and make high-quality presentations to various audiences in both English and Nepali. English fluency and concise communication style is a must.
- Experience managing a high-performing team and fast-paced portfolio.
Disclaimer: This position is contingent upon donor approval. Winrock does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (resume submission, interview, processing).
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can post their cover letter and CV to Jobs.KISAN@winrock.org within May 20, 2022. Applicants should reference Business and Market Systems Director in the subject line. Applications received after the stipulated date will not be entertained.
|Category||Development and Project|
|Position Type||Full Time|
|Education||Post Graduate / Masters in related field.|
|Posted Date||06 May, 2022|
|Apply Before||20 May, 2022|