click here to view more company profile...
Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
WORK FOR AN AWARD-WINNING NON-PROFIT SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
Location: Build Change project sites within Nepal
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs safe buildings, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia, after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami, and since has expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, the Philippines and Nepal. Build Change has trained more than 27,850 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 42 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created over 12,300 jobs and provided technical assistance for almost 51,300 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 257,621 people.
Build Change is seeking engineering interns to participate in its technical assistance and training programs in Nepal. We offer an opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience in design, supervision and project management in international disaster response/disaster risk reduction programs. Build Change is flexible for the term and start date of the internship, but requires a minimum six months’ commitment
· Develop a thorough understanding of the existing structural engineering design resources, and of those developed by Build Change, for use in Nepal.
· With local staff, aid in the application of these resources to provide technical assistance to homeowners to design safe houses, supervise construction, and train builders in disaster-resistant construction practices.
· Check design documents, drawings, bills of quantity, and construction inspection checklists.
· Assist in solving problems and generating solutions in the field for special cases.
· Assist with the development of Build Change technical resources.
· Assist in the development and implementation of training for local engineers, architects, drafters, and other technical staff.
· Promote good communication between the technical group and other departments within Build Change.
· At least 3 years of study toward a bachelor‐level degree in engineering at a reputable institution.
· Recent graduates and Master’s candidates are also encouraged to apply.
· Interest in earthquake‐resistant design and construction of masonry, concrete and timber buildings.
· A basic understanding of good construction practices and the principles of earthquake- and wind-resistant construction. Familiarity with international building codes and guidelines, such as the IBC, ASCE 7, ASCE 41, ACI 318, NDS for wood construction, ACI 530, etc. is a plus.
· Good communication skills and excellent teamwork abilities.
· Willingness to work in informal, dense urban or remote rural communities.
· Computer skills including Microsoft Office, AutoCAD and Revit.
· No ego, drama, or pessimism; the successful candidate will be flexible, humble, patient, and have a good sense of humor.
· Proficiency in English is a plus.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed daily and suitable candidates may be invited for test and interview prior to the closing date. Only short-listed candidates will be invited for written test and/or interview
To Apply please go to below link and follow the instructions
|0 NRs per hour|
|Intern / Trainees|
|Bachelors in Engineering|
|08 Sep, 17|
|06 Oct, 17|