Senior Program Manager
Daayitwa is building a movement of young leaders who are guided by shared values of collaborating, innovating, and serving to create solutions to tackle systemic issues in Nepal. More specifically, Daayitwa has three goals: 1. Promote inclusive and enterprise-driven economic growth 2. Strengthen governance of public service delivery 3. Foster resilience in local communities
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Nepal strives to graduate from LDC to middle-income country status by 2030. The excessive focus of Nepal’s development paradigm on socio-political empowerment, however, has not yielded the desired economic transformation. In fact, the dismal domestic youth employment has heightened foreign migration, lowered domestic productivity, and increased economic dependence on foreign nations. Daayitwa, with a focus on economic empowerment, envisions an enterprising Nepal where every youth has opportunities for a prosperous future and aims to:
- Promote inclusive and enterprise-led economic growth
- Strengthen governance of inclusive enterprise ecosystem
- Bolster community engagement for enhanced livelihoods
Towards these goals, Daayitwa executes three programs. The Rural Enterprise Acceleration Program (REAP) supports rural high-growth entrepreneurs to accelerate their businesses, create jobs and incubate other local entrepreneurs. Leveraging the grassroots enterprise learning, the Public Service Fellowship Program (PSFP) supports policy entrepreneurs to collaborate with the government, conduct economic policy research and promote evidence-based policy decisions. In linking the grassroots and government level engagements, the Civic Engagement Program (CEP) supports civic innovators to promote domestic youth employment through evidence-based policy advocacy. REAP has supported 45 business entrepreneurs in 4 districts of Province 3 and Province 5 to accelerate their enterprises. PSFP has supported 99 policy entrepreneurs from 28 countries to collaborate with 28 ministries and public agencies as well as 24 parliamentarians and conduct 99 research projects. CEP has supported 50 civic entrepreneurs to organize 6 policy campaigns at federal, provincial and local levels on promoting domestic youth employment.
As part of CEP, Yuwa Aaja! Campaign strives to strengthen the enabling environment for domestic youth employment by understanding key bottlenecks and engaging federal, provincial and local youth to advocate for evidence-based policy reforms through three program components. Firstly, it will support the Ministry of Labor, Employment and Social Security (MoLESS) to implement the Prime Minister Employment Program by engaging federal youths in promoting dignity of labour. Secondly, it will support the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Supplies (MoICS) and MoLEESS to promote job creation through micro-enterprises by engaging federal youth to advocate for value-chain based micro-enterprises. Thirdly, it will strengthen the implementation capacity of Province 2 and Province 5 to implement youth employment and youth entrepreneurship policies and programs by engaging talented provincial and local youth in pertinent projects of provincial ministries and local municipalities.
Daayitwa, registered as an NGO in Nepal, is part of the Daayitwa Abhiyaan. The Abhiyaan also comprises of three other institutions:
- Nepal Leadership Academy, a Nepal-based profit not-distributing company, that conducts leadership research, develops curriculum and offers leadership training.
- Governance Lab, a Nepal-based for-profit research firm, that conducts economic policy research and influence government to make evidence-based policy decisions
- Daayitwa-US, a US-based 501c3 non-profit that connects and builds leadership capacity of US diaspora for strengthened diasporic communities to contribute to Nepal’s growth
The Senior Project Manager (SPM), with supervision from the Executive Chairperson and as part of executive management, will play a leadership role in ensuring results through programs as well as strengthening relationships within and outside the organisation. The SPM will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Lead the implementation of Yuwa Aaja! Program, including overseeing the key components (research, capacity building and advocacy)
- Envision, manage and promote the strategic direction of Daayitwa in keeping with Daayitwa Abhiyaan’s guidelines and policies
- Provide overall management guidance to project teams in achieving their target results
- Create strategy and operation plan for various projects together with team members
- Collaborate with the communications team in crafting and sharing stories of impact
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of project activities and organization objectives, and report results to the Board, development partners, and the general public.
- Define resource needs and secure funds, including writing proposals as necessary
- Liaise with other Daayitwa Abhiyaan entities, including Governance Lab, Nepal Leadership Academy and Daayitwa-US
- Assume roles in new tasks and projects and support key Daayitwa programs
- Foster a productive environment for team members to learn, grow and create meaningful impact through program interventions
- Ensure all staff issues are addressed properly, efficiently and judiciously, and keep track of progress until resolved
- Plan and organize activities at national and sub-national levels to strengthen trustful collaboration among team members
- Build and strengthen partnerships with local, national and international stakeholders (e.g. government, private companies, banks, universities, local communities, venture funds, NGOs and international development partners)
- Masters degree in business administration, public administration, social development or other related field
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Impeccable managerial and interpersonal skills, with proven record of effectively interacting with senior management
- Recognized expertise in rural development, community engagement, government collaboration and private sector development
- Understanding of social issues related to youth employment, youth entrepreneurship, and community-driven development
- Independence in working on complex problems in the field of specialization consistently applying creativity and independent judgment
- Experience working in an institution focusing on international development and/or dealing with government officials.
- Excellent client orientation, diplomatic skills, and drive for results are essential
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams under pressure in a diverse, uncertain environment. Experience of having led start-up teams will be a plus point.
- Strong motivation and organizational/time management skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks at a time within deadlines.
- Exceptional willingness to take risks and work hard. Growth mindset is key.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in Nepali and English
Daayitwa will provide compensation to the SPM on a monthly rate basis. The rate will be mutually agreed upon, commensurate with the level of the required deliverables, the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
To learn more about Daayitwa and our work, do visit our facebook page or our website.