Senior Finance Officer Opportunity
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Senior Finance Officer Opportunity
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
The Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+) program, funded by USAID and implemented by USP, improves access to quality-assured priority medicines and addresses the proliferation of poor-quality medical products in low- and middle-income countries. PQM+ will strengthen medical product quality assurance systems through cross-sectoral and systems strengthening approaches and the application of international quality assurance standards across the pharmaceutical system. By sharing scientific expertise and providing technical support and leadership, PQM+ helps create resilient and robust local health systems that address diseases like HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and neglected tropical diseases, as well as improves maternal, newborn and child health.
USP is seeking for a Senior Finance Officer who will be responsible for financial management and accounting in support of PQM+ program implementation in Nepal.
The Senior Finance Officer will report to the Senior Finance and Operations Manager in Nepal and will work closely with USP headquarters. S/he will oversee all project financial transactions which includes but is not limited to: deposits, receipts, and vouchers for payment disbursements, processing payroll, processing of invoices, expenditures monitoring and financial reporting, bank reconciliation and accounts analysis, preparation and processing of local tax returns and budget monitoring. S/he will also be responsible for auditing financial information, compiling and submitting reports to Global Finance at headquarters. As a key member of the PQM+ Nepal Operations team, the Senior Finance Officer will ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial transactions and use sound judgment in assuring all costs are reasonable and in compliance with USP, donor, and local government policies and regulations.
Scope of Work:
- Oversee all project financial transactions, including deposits, receipts and vouchers for payment disbursements.
- Develop monthly cash projections of project financial needs for procurement, support of project activities, staff payroll, subcontract/vendor payments, operational expenses, staff travel, and on- hand cash requirements.
- Analyze and prepare financial and administrative reports as required by Senior Finance and Operations Manager and headquarters.
- Complete the month-end close process in close coordination with Senior Finance and Operations Manager, including preparation of account reconciliations, journal entries, and variance analyses and submit package to Global Finance at HQ in timely manner.
- Ensure transactions are properly recorded and reported using appropriate accounting software system and maintain all computerized accounting systems and records.
- Ensure each payment has the relevant supporting document/s, payment documents are prepared accurately, and processed in timely manner.
- Review and process payroll and employees’ expense/petty cash payments, update new hires and terminations in payroll system. Manage timesheets of all office staff ensuring timely submission, approval, accuracy and filing.
- Process returns and all other local tax obligations (including payroll tax, pension deduction and all other local statutory taxes) to the appropriate government agencies.
- Maintain proper documentation for relevant financial transactions including scanning and maintaining a comprehensive and efficient filling system.
- Track/monitor monthly expenditures against approved budget. Prepare monthly financial expense reports and cash and bank reconciliation statements. Serve as the focal point for project banking matters.
- Prepare day to day VAT coupon usage report and maintain internal tracking of VAT-related expenses.
- Support the annual work plan budgeting process and assist the development of proposal budget for new business opportunities.
- Review budget submitted by program staff for each upcoming activity, ensure accuracy, process for approval, and ensure appropriate advance/payment is made in timely manner.
- Maintain all financial and accounting files and documents according to USP document management policies and procedures.
- Assist in the preparation and coordination of the audit process.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance and/or accounting and local equivalent of chartered accountant
- A minimum 6-8 years progressive professional accounting and/or financial management experience, on a USAID or international donor funded project with a minimum of 4 years’ experience in similar role.
- Experience with computerized accounting package (experience with QuickBooks software preferred).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of applicable local and national rules and regulations, and policies governing financial and administrative processes
- Strong computer skills, experience with MS office required; expertise in Excel preferred.
- Meticulous attention to detail, as well as outstanding critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Capacity for independent thinking and excellent analytical skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, show initiative, solve problems, prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, meet deadlines, and remain calm under pressure
- Hard working and attention to detail is essential.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Self-management (i.e., motivation, dealing with pressure, adaptability) and the ability to project a professional, consistent image of confidence, integrity, honesty and competence.
- Proven ability to work in a team
- Fluency in national language and proficiency in written and oral English required.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, CV, and USAID Form 1420 (available at https://www.usaid.gov/forms/aid-1420-17) by email to GPHNepalRecruitment@USP.org clearly stating Senior Finance Officer in the subject line of the e-mail.
Application Deadline: May 8, 2020