Qualitative Research Associate
Independent research organization based in Jakarta, Indonesia that specializes in immersive and participatory research.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Empatika is an independent international company specializing in people-centred research and training. We are passionate about providing in-depth insights and fresh views on development aid and programmes through participatory research and training. We believe that this requires empathetic research approaches which enable people to share their perspectives and their experiences. The inclusion of people’s voices in programme design and policy making is a means for empowerment and ensuring that a multitude of perspectives contribute to the generation of knowledge.
For more information on Empatika, visit our website: http://www.empatika.org
Role and Responsibilities
To support the implementation of a short-term research project in Nepal, Empatika requires Research Associates (RA) to be part of the study team. Research Associates receive a unique opportunity to learn participatory approaches by undergoing Reality Check Approach Immersion Research Level 1 training, involving in fieldwork as well as being mentored by International Senior Researchers throughout the study process. Roles and responsibilities of Research Associates are:
1. Satisfactory completion of the mandatory Reality Check Approach Immersion Research Level 1 training
2. During the study
Attend study briefing session
- Travel with designated sub-team to the study locations for immersion for the period of the study (having informal conversations, in-depth observations and experiences) and to gather insights into the study issues, ensuring careful adherence to ethical practices and the need for careful triangulation of information
- Adherence to Empatika’s COVID19 Protocol during the training and fieldwork to ensure the safety of the researchers and study communities
- Full participation in de-briefings with the team leader post-fieldwork
- Submit all required archiving in a timely manner
- Full participation in the post field study process, including team reflection and sense-making sessions
- Submit all necessary supporting evidence for any payments made
- Provide additional information as required by the team leader
Skill and Competencies
A. Technical Competencies:
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in social sciences (i.e. anthropology, development studies, sociology, political science, economics, development communication etc.)
- Fluency in Nepali along with conversational knowledge of either Maithali, Awadhi or Bhojpuri required with strong spoken and reading English skills
- Minimum of a year of work experience in development research or other development related work
- Experience in qualitative field research and knowledge of terminologies of qualitative research is preferred
B. Other Qualities and Experience:
- Flexible, patient and proactive: ability to change course, explore new ideas and ‘go with the flow’
- Curious people person: excitement about knowing new people and learning about their lives; willingness to strike up a conversation with anyone
- Good listening and communication skills
- Open mind: interested in having new, unusual experiences and going to new places
- Reflexive: ability to continuously reflect on own behaviour, biases, and practices as a researcher
- Interest in learning new participatory methods and thinking how different methods can work in different contexts
- Willingness to work flexible hours during the research, including weekends
- Willingness to travel potentially long distances and live with families in villages for a few days in ‘basic’ conditions
- Able to maintain attention for extended periods and to maintain high quality outputs
The selected Research Associates who pass the selection process (including the mandatory Level 1 training) will be offered short-term contract and have the opportunity to participate in the main study between September-October 2021. Approximate working days under the contract will be 9-10 days over the period of August-October 2021.
Selected candidates must participate in the Level 1 Training which will be held in Kathmandu around August 2021. Contracts will only be provided to those who satisfactorily complete the mandatory Level 1 training. Trainees will be provided half day payment for the duration of the training.
Empatika’s COVID19 Safety Protocols
- Potential candidates will be interviewed through online channels
- The training will be held in a well-ventilated room and possibly in an outdoor setting. Empatika will comply with all COVID19 safety protocols based on WHO recommendation
- Empatika requires all trainees to undergo a PCR test before and after training, only those candidates with a non-reactive (negative) PCR test result will be able to join training. Empatika will provide the required PCR testing for trainees.
- Empatika will also provide PCR testing before and and after field work for those Research Associates who qualify for the main study fieldwork. Only those Research Associates with a non-reactive (negative) PCR test result will be allowed to join the fieldwork
- Empatika will provide personal health kits for all Research Associates during the training and fieldwork.
If you are interested, please submit your full CV and a short paragraph indicating your interest in this assignment to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the subject line “Qualitative Research Associate in Nepal”. The position is for Nepali nationals only.
Applications close on August 2nd 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.