Public Health Officer
Details / requirements:
Farmers for Rural Development (FRDEV) is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) dedicated to livelihood improvement of rural farmers. FRDEV aims to promote sustainable agriculture and improve the well-being of the farmers. FRDEV empower farmers with access to improved and modern technology, access to credit, and training, and helping farmers to mitigate occupational and environmental risks.
FRDEV is looking for the Public Health Officer (PHO), who will work on the project “Towards More Sustainable Food Value Chains in Nepal (SFVC)”. This project is supported by the INGO Triangle Génération Humanitaire (TGH) in consortium with Médecins du Monde (MdM) and aims to transform the current agricultural production and distribution system in at least four municipalities of Ramechhap, Kavre and Sindhupalchok districts through strategies and models of healthy, sustainable and alternative agriculture. This initiative will support medium-term changes in agricultural practices, food markets and the integration of protection and health of targeted beneficiaries. The development and strengthening of agricultural cooperatives will contribute to the creation of economic opportunities, poverty reduction and adaptation to climate change. The project will support the transition to a greener economy, based on the "Farm to Fork" and "One Health" principles. In addition, through the promotion of a risk reduction approach to occupational exposures and the implementation of occupational health services, the health of agricultural cooperative members and their communities will be improved. Advocacy will be implemented on the economic and health aspects to ensure the sustainability of the project. The project started in February 2023 for a duration of 3 years.
General objective of the position: The Public Health Officer job is responsible for actively assuring the development of the occupational health and public health components and activities associated with the program development under the direct direction of the Project Coordinator. The public health officer assists in the reporting, monitoring, assessment, and evaluation processes while ensuring the consistency and calibre of all health-related operations. He or she oversees matters like local medical kit ongoing maintenance, health post supplies, OHS awareness training regulations, etc. The Public Health Officer will collaborate closely with the MdM Nepal Health Activity Manager officer in Katmandu on technical matters.
Place of work: Dhulikhel with frequent field trips to Kavre, SIndhupalchok and Ramechhap
Line manager: Project Coordinator
Functional links: support team (FIN/LOG/ADMIN), Entrepreneurship Development Officer, 3 JTA and 4 Community focal points, MdM Health Activity Manager.
- Assist in planning and designing the health-related plan of action for improving farmer’s occupational health and safety
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as instructed by the supervisor and the organization.
- Coordinate with the agriculture and entrepreneurship team and activities of the project to ensure coherence, efficiency, and relevance in the implementation of the project.
- Represent the team and take part in any relevant forums, events, or platforms to help achieve public health goals.
- Support initiatives to promote beneficiaries' and communities' access to high-quality healthcare services by adhering to occupational health and safety and public health-related guidelines and other MdM Nepal Medical Advisor-created reference materials.
- Encourage community people to actively engage in program activities and increase the capacity of local partners to engage residents on highlighted issues.
- Contribute to improving FARMER’S access to high-quality occupational health treatments through already-existing healthcare facilities, including the development of healthcare professionals' capacity.
- Promoting a favourable climate through networking and coordination with stakeholders, including local health facilities and public, private, and human (PPP) partners.
- Sensitization and beneficiary orientation. Develop and spread resources for behaviour change communication (BCC) on hazardous environments and occupational health and safety (OHS).
- Take the lead in the implementation of public health and occupational health-related activities as per the plan of action and ensure that public health and occupational health-related activities are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Collect Municipalities/ Rural Municipalities data and information on various public health issues
- Report as per prescribed forms and format on a regular basis.
- Ensure any specific medical reporting to the MdM health Activity manager in Kathmandu
- Contribute to any relevant report (government authorities, funding agencies, HQ, etc.) in support of the MdM health Activity manager.
- Contribute to monitoring the implementation of public health-related activities and data collection, according to the strategic M&E orientations and in collaboration with the MdM Health Activity Manager
- Compile experiences, lessons learned, best practices and success stories from the farming communities of the project area.
- Ensure the constant availability and accurate storage of contingency stock of emergency medical kits designed by MdM Nepal Medical Advisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health or equivalent degree in Health
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in the public health sector
- Experience in program planning, monitoring, and evaluation
- Experience in working with government or municipal health systems.
- Experience in working with communities and less advantaged/marginalized beneficiaries.
- Experience in surveillance systems, emergencies, outbreak response: an asset
- Familiar with communities in project areas, an asset
- Medical technical skills
- Ability to provide remote support to field teams/partners when required.
- License holder of a 2-wheeler.
- Computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other communication tools
- Able to read, write and communicate in English at the professional level.
- Assertiveness, mediation and negotiation, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Interpersonal and verbal communication abilities, tact and diplomacy, intercultural and difference awareness
- Listening and dissemination skills
- Team-working and coordination skills
- Proactive, well organized and able to manage priorities, adaptable, reliable, accountable, and responsive personality.
- Fluent in both written and spoken Nepali and English language
If you are interested to work with the rural community, cooperatives and related stakeholders for empowering rural communities in Nepal through an integrated approach to health and income growth project; send your application with your CV and cover letter to email@example.com mentioning the email subject line “Application for Public Health Officer” by August 7, 2023.
FRDEV shall not entertain any phone inquiries or other such solicitations for this position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. The selection will be solely based on the individual's qualifications, professional experience and performance of the candidate. FRDEV reserves the right to reject any or all applications. FRDEV is an equal-opportunity employer.
Commitment to FRDEV’s Child Protection Policy, Anti-fraud and Anti-Corruption Policy and Gender Policy is a formal requirement for employment. FRDEV strongly condemns all corporal punishment or physical violence, threats of physical violence, sexual abuse or exploitation, harassment and verbal abuse, as well as all other forms of intimidation. FRDEV applies a "zero tolerance" policy with regard to all misconduct affecting the professional credibility of its employees: FRDEV staff; partners (local or international) and service providers. This must be respected by the employee throughout the term of his contract, during and outside working hours. The application of those policies is imperative and any breach will result in disciplinary measures.