Project coordinator cum Engineer
Urban Environment Management Society (UEMS), a non government organization established in 2002, is dedicated to people-centered urban development and striving to contribute for better living environment through efforts for sustainable development. UEMS supports urban and sub urbs population, especially marginalized communities through its work in water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), Solid Waste Management, Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction, Alternative Energy, Food Security and Sustainable Livelihoods.
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Urban Environment Management Society (UEMS) is implementing The Beacon Project: Municipality Wide equitable WASH Services in Lahan: A joint initiative of Anglian Water@onealliance, WaterAid, Nepal Water Supply Corporation (NWSC) and Lahan Municipality (LM) which adopts a holistic approach to to ensure that the people of Lahan municipality, including the marginalized, vulnerable communities and schools, have sustainable and equitable access to safe water, improved sanitation and hygiene contributing to their well-being, health and dignity. Towards this aim, The Beacon Initiative, therefore, provides a unique opportunity to bring together the Anglian Alliance, WaterAid Nepal, the Nepal Water Supply Corporation (NWSC), local communities and the Government (primarily Municipality) to trial a sustainable approach to municipality-wide water provision, making significant contribution to delivering Nepal’s WASH plan and transforming the role of water utilities in Nepal for years to come.
Position: Project coordinator cum Engineer
One year with possibility of extension for another year.
Lahan Municipality, Siraha District
To take over the responsibility for the successful leadership and management of the Beacon Project in Lahan. He/She will also have the responsibility as a project coordinator to provide direction and support to project teams to adhere all quality standards during the project implementation.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager and working in close collaboration with NWSC and Municipality and other experts/consultants, the project coordinator will undertake the following specific duties:
- Assessment of water demands, expansion of water supply systems and networks of the water supply within Lahan Municipality.
- Contribute towards the analysis of general physical conditions of the selected wards, in terms of water resources
- Work with the NWSC and Municipality to maintain water supply networks to the project areas within the municipality
- Design the water extensions schemes starting from the main storage tanks to the fields
- Prepare the specifications of equipment required and supervise the equipment acquisition and the subcontract for construction of these extensions, with in-kind support by the communities
- Shall adopt the standard design procedures (For both Water supply and Sanitation) fulfilling the quality requirements following the correct NS codes & specifications and follow government district rates of respective fiscal year while preparing the estimates of the facilities
- Will support in aligning to the procurement best practice guideline of WAN and strictly follow their currently updated procurement policy for the transparent and robust procurement system. If there is any conflict between WAN guideline and UEMS procurement policy, this needs to agree mutually at the time of signature.
- Contribute to the technical strengthening of existing water committees, and work with the municipality and NWSC on designing a realistic and appropriate fee structure and collection mechanisms to ensure maintenance of the water taps
- Follow-up with the community once the water supply networks have been made functional
- Prepare and update work plans for the water supply in close co-ordination with NWSC, the municipality and the community groups
- Prepare the required reports of the project as per donor requirements.
- Shall work in close coordination and collaboration with the Lahan Municipal government and Lahan Branch of Nepal Water Supply Corporation (NWSC) respectively
- Will support in aligning with the WA’s quality programme standards (QPS) while executing the project to adhere with the optimum standards envisaged by QPS.
- Shall assure that the project gives the highest priority to those population unreached by WASH services, especially poor, vulnerable, marginalized, excluded groups considering equity and inclusion aspect and to the long-term sustainability.
- Ensure a local level coordination with WASH, health and education sector in the project area, Municipal and district in the utmost manner.
- Facilitating and coordinating the meetings amongst the Municipality, NWSC and other stakeholders for developing the municipal WASH plans, business plans and operation guidelines
- Support in preparation of process documents of the project
- Facilitate implementation of Total Sanitation activities
Required Qualifications and Experience:
The candidate should hold an advanced degree in Engineering field related to water resources management with minimum 5 years working experience on water supply, management and water supply scheme with networking system. Inaddition to this the candidate should have the experience on Municipal WASH Plan preparation and WSP implementation.
Experience in working at the community level is an essential requirement of the post. Familiarity with the NWSC rules will be an added advantage. The incumbent should be fluent in English with excellent report writing capabilities. At the end of the assignment, the expert is required to prepare a final report with a detailed account of all activities undertaken and recommendations and suggestions he/she considers most appropriate for the institutionalization of the functions performed under the project at government/community levels.
Interested individuals are requested to visit www.uems.org.np for job application form. Suitable Nepalese candidates are requested to compulsorily submit only the completed job application form disclosing the expected salary to email@example.com indicating the ‘position title’ in the subject line by 19th September 2018.
UEMS encourages applications from individuals belonging to marginalized sections of society. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Telephone enquiries shall not be entertained.
|Education||Please check vacancy details|
|Posted Date||10 Sep, 2018|
|Apply Before||19 Sep, 2018|