Details / requirements:
Department / Unit: IPRO / NEPCO
Place of Assignment: Kathmandu, with frequent travels to field locations in Nepal
Position is: For a fixed term - As of 1.2.2022 until 31.12.2023
Supervisor: Country Director
Date of revising JD: 17.12.2021
Other reporting responsibilities and internal cooperation parties:
Program Team, Finance Team, Service and Accountability Centre (SAC) Program Support Department and Strategy Development Department, SAC Finance and Operations Support Department, Donors, Government stakeholders
Primary purpose of the position:
To manage FCA’s country program in Nepal with thematic focus on Right to Livelihood, Right to Education and Right to Peace. The Program Manager shall perform within the framework of FCA’s and donors’ strategies, policies and guidelines, and promote institutional learning and synergy amongst FCA and partners.
Strategic planning and management
- Promote, implement and uphold the vision, mission, core values and objectives of the FCA Global Strategy and other steering documents.
- Together with the Senior Management Team and Program team, contribute towards the strategic planning, i.e. Country Strategy, thematic strategies and plans.
- Contribute to the long-term development, thematic priorities and advocacy objectives, adapting FCA’s Country Program to the local, national and regional context.
Program and project management
- Exert overall responsibility for FCA Country Program implementation related to Right to Livelihoods, Right to Education, Right to Peace, in accordance with FCA’s strategies, goals and objectives, policies and guidelines.
- In collaboration with the Country Management Team, draft the Country Program Annual Plan (CPAP) and Country Program Annual Report (CPAR) ensuring effective engagement of the Program Team staff and partners.
- Develop the Country Program’s Advocacy Plans, support partners on advocacy and contribute to FCA’s advocacy initiatives.
- Ensure programmatic, technical and financial quality, data collection and documentation of the projects and carry out required planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting (PMER) activities.
- In collaboration with the Finance team, support the processes for signing contractual agreements with partners, financial management and monitoring of partner and project finances.
- Report to the Senior Management Team on the status of the Country Program (incl. all projects) on monthly basis and ensure SMT’s feedback is incorporated in the program management.
- Ensure the Program Team is archiving program and project documents in hardy copies and in FCA online workspaces.
- Lead, coordinate, organize and monitor the Program Team’s work.
- Coach and provide guidance to the individual members of the Program Team.
- Contribute towards the capacity building of the Program Team through knowledge transfer.
- Manage the risks and issues that might and do arise over the course of the program life cycle, as well as take measures to correct them when they occur.
- Proactively create and maintain a well-functioning team atmosphere and spirit.
- Adhere to the partner selection guidelines and national context, and identify and analyze relevant partners and their capacities for implementation of FCA’s Program in Nepal.
- Ensure support and guidance to partners for project design, drafting annual plans, proposals, Detailed Implementation Plans (DIP), reports and alignment with FCA’s Strategy and Program.
- Support partners on advocacy plans and initiatives.
- Support the Program Team in ensuring timely submission of project plans and reports from partners, guide partners for incorporation of relevant information.
- Contribute to Capacity Building partners related to main thematic areas and link to various opportunities for capacity building.
- Ensure review of partnerships to provide space for sharing achievements, opportunities, challenges and added value for strengthening partnership relation.
- Identify partners that can contribute towards fundraising and enhance the visibility of FCA in Nepal.
- Contribute towards expanding FCA’s networks, exploring opportunities for in-country fundraising and develop strategic consortiums for fundraising.
- Support the Global Grants team at SAC with relevant information for developing proposals and lead the proposal-drafting process supervised by the CD and Global Grants advisors.
- Ensure all donor compliances in external grant management.
- Contribute towards the Country Office’s communication work, together with the Program Development Coordinator.
Coordination, networking and representation
- Fosters and maintain good coordination and collaboration with international and bilateral co-operating and co financing partners, particularly with the UN, government agencies and other international and national NGOs.
- Ensure timely and proper processes for the coordination and renewal approval from Government of Nepal for FCA operation including proposal development for the Project Agreement and General Agreement.
- Ensure timely submission of reports to the Government of Nepal in line with the agreement signed with the Social Welfare Council and other relevant agencies including organization of FCA project progress review meeting with the Government agencies
- Establish, and expand networking with development and humanitarian stakeholders relevant to FCA strategy.
- Represent FCA and participate in relevant meetings in the development sector in Nepal.
Competence, experience, skills, knowledge needed
- University degree or equivalent in development studies, economics, social studies or similar.
- 10 years working experience in development cooperation and advocacy programs within the civil society in an international environment.
- Excellent people management skills and strong ability to work with a wide range of individuals.
- Strong leadership, conceptual and analytical skills and demonstrated organizational and management skills. Minimum 5 years experience in team-leader or management role.
- Knowledge and experience of cooperation with governmental and non-governmental agencies in the field of development cooperation, advocacy and human rights.
- Ability to work under pressure in a structured, organized and responsive manner in an international working environment with multicultural team.
- Commitment to continuous learning – willingness to keep abreast of new development strategies.
- Good understanding of partnership and collaboration; financial management, local government and donor’s development policies.
- Conversant in strategic management, project cycle management, policy advocacy, fund raising and knowledge management.
- Coordination, liaison, networking, conflict management and negotiation, problem solving, coaching, mentoring, supervision and analytical skills.
- Result oriented, excellent team player and decision making skill; Team building and management skills with good knowledge of institutional capacity assessment/building.
- Sound understanding of the Human Rights-Based Approach and other development and humanitarian work related national and international policies, strategies, UN conventions and international laws.
- Flexible and excellent communication skill both in English and Nepali languages, as well as computer skills in MS Office and Outlook.
- Effectively and efficiently implemented FCA Country Program in Nepal.
Responsibilities and independence
- The tasks require independency and sometimes responsibility in preparing problem solutions, and also making decisions. The position holder works as a specialist of a sub-sector of function. The work may include demanding responsibility for operations, finances or personnel.
Reason for choice: Program Manager’s position requires independency, problem solving, and making decisions
Physical and psychological burden imposed
- Frequent travel to field locations
- Instability (political)
- Fraud and corruption threats
- Member of Senior Management Team, which also includes the Country Director and Finance & Admin Manager
- Lead the Program Team
- Organisational learning exchanges between FCA office across the world
- Exchange, information sharing and negotiations with donors, other INGOs, local NGOs and partners as well as other stakeholders
Substitution and representation
- Acting as OiC while CD is not available
- Representing FCA in different forums/events nationally and internationally
- Forum and donor meetings
Please click here to download the detailed Terms of Reference or by following the link below;
For Registered Candidate:
For New Candidate:
Go to https://p2p.com.np/
Register/Create new account,
Use your newly created username and password to login
Click on the job you want to apply for
And press "APPLY" that appears on the selected job page.
If cover letter/ CV is not attached, a pop up will appear The pop up will direct to "MANAGE COVER LETTER/ CV" page where you can add/upload cover letter/ CV, then press "APPLY" at the bottom of the page.