Detailed Job description / requirements:
Sajhedari – Support to Federalism (STF) aims to support the effective implementation of federalism in Nepal. It has 3 major objectives focusing on policy, process, and participation to support the federalism process in Nepal. It works with 10 municipalities in Province Five and Sudur Paschim and coordinates with the provincial and federal governments. To achieve these objectives, STF has developed a short term work plan to respond to COVID-19 crisis in the interim period. It will develop a midterm and long-term plan according to the pandemic situation in coordination with MoFAGA and USAID. In this connection, Abt Associates is looking for Media Consultant to contribute to the participatory and process-led implementation of the Local Government fiscal year planning cycle as following stated key responsibilities.
About USAID’s Sajhedari – Support to Federalism (STF):
The goal of the USAID funded Sajedhari - Support to Federalism (STF) project, implemented by Abt Associates is to provide technical assistance to the Government of Nepal (GoN) in transitioning from a unitary state to a federation of provinces with more effective, accountable, responsive and inclusive local governance. The key objectives of the STF Project are : (a) The GoN creates and implements sound policies and legislation that are informed by evidence, and empower, finance, and regulate provincial and municipal governments; (b) The targeted province and select municipal governments therein are more responsive, inclusive, accountable, transparent, and effective in decision making and delivering priority services to fulfilling core legal responsibilities; and (c) Citizens and civil society organizations in targeted geographic areas, including the historically marginalized, actively participate local decision-making and oversight.
Objectives of the Assignment
One of the project objectives, i.e., Objective Two, focuses on increasing responsiveness, Inclusiveness, accountability, transparency, and effectiveness in the local level decision making so that governments are able to deliver priority services. Given the pandemic has significantly affected public movement and gathering, this has also limited the opportunity to interact and discuss setting and working on priorities, including the fiscal year planning process for the upcoming fiscal year, 2020-2021.
To contribute to the participatory and process-led implementation of the fiscal year planning cycle, STF intends to hire Media Consultant to support Local Government participatory planning process at STF working municipalities. It is expected that the assignment helps not just the municipalities in following the GON procedures concerning fiscal year planning but also increases public awareness and participation in setting priority, plan, and program that reflects local level needs and ownership during the pandemic and aftermath.
- Review GON-enforced rules, guidelines and procedures to the local level planning process;
- Draft the format of the radio program that should, at least, cover the planning provision of the GON, steps, procedure, participation and transparency element, and the progress regularly. Address any feedback from the team/local FM stations in the format;
- Develop a production and broadcasting calendar in line with GON planning cycle and consultation with Objective Two team and local FM stations;
- In coordination with local FM stations and Objective Two team, draft the script, incorporate feedback and provide guidance and support to the local FM stations in the production of weekly radio program;
- In coordination with STF’s Communications Specialist, ensure USAID branding and marking as applicable;
- Review the quality, contents, and feedbacks on the radio program, share with Objective Two team and support the local FM stations appropriate adjustments;
- Prepare and submit a monthly report consisting of planning stage, process, participation, and progress in addition to good practice as identified and highlighted during the production of radio programs.
- Inception report including the I) review of GON rules, regulations, and procedures concerning local level planning, II) format of the radio program, III) schedule of the radio programs in all STF municipalities; and IV) calendar of events/activities and methodologies.
- Submission of the monthly report (consisting of planning stage, process, participation, and progress in addition to good practice as identified and highlighted during the production of radio program) for June, including the production and broadcasting of at least five radio programs.
- Submission and approval of the final report
Level of Effort and Timeline:
This is tentatively a 10-week assignment. We expect full-time engagement of the Media Consultant as s/he has to coordinate between STF and local FM stations to endure quality in the delivery and adherence to the timeline.
Reporting and Coordination:
The consultant will report to the Objective 2 Lead and work in close coordination with Municipal Training Specialist and Sr. Municipal Coordinator.
Required Qualification and Skills:
- Should have designed, implemented and documented at least five media campaigns in Nepal with a focus on local governance, community development, health, local economic development, and fiscal issues;
- Should have demonstrated leadership in coordinating with different stakeholders in the design, delivery, and reporting of media campaigns, in a particular radio program in Nepal;
- Should have some experiences and knowledge of GON planning process, fiscal planning, community participation and accountability and transparency in the local governance processes and procedures;
- Should have demonstrated leadership in script and report writing.
- Should be familiar with the approach, tools, and techniques used in the production and broadcasting of the radio program, especially in small and medium level local FM stations located and operating in the rural and remote areas in Nepal.
- Should be proficient in the Nepali language, but a working knowledge of English and other regional languages/s in Province Five and Sudur Paschim will be an added advantage;
- Is a team player, culturally sensitive, and adaptive to tight deadlines and multi-tasking, besides, to be able to ensure the quality and timeliness of deliveries while working remotely
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter along with updated CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Media Consultant” by May 24, 2020. Please indicate your ability, availability and daily rate to undertake the terms of reference above.