- Company: SNV Nepal
- Industry: I/ NGO
- Address: Jawalkhel
- Consulting & Professional Services
- Please check vacancy details.
- PBBN (Post Basic Bachelor in Nursing)
- Please check vacancy details
Detailed Job Description / Requirements
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV is seeking qualified and energetic Nepalese nationals for the position of Junior Field Consultant for the Programme “Promotion of Renewable Energy in Rural Areas” (RERA) in 5 Rural municipality to implement activities in 5 Rural municipality.
Renewable Energy for Rural Areas (RERA)
The Renewable Energy for Rural Areas (RERA) is a joint technical support programme for the Nepalese small-scale renewable energy sector of the Government of Nepal (GoN) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The programme is jointly implemented by the Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (AEPC) and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. This project has been commissioned in October 2016 and will run for 3 years ending in September 2019.
The over-arching vision for RERA is ‘to ensure efficient and effective service delivery of small-scale renewable energy through improved outreach and enhanced local cooperation in a federalised Nepal’. This vision will be delivered through improving and developing a framework for participatory and demand-led promotion of small-scale renewable energy in central, provincial, and local government authorities, ensuring the effective cooperation with civil society and the private sector in the context of federalisation and constitutional reform. Amongst other measures, RERA aims to do this by helping AEPC in its transition for more service delivery and already established two Programme Implementation Units (PIU): one in Biratnagar and another in Dhangadhi. The programme will also support local level, provincial and federal -governments, work together with civil society, private sectors to improve service delivery of small-scale renewable energy.
The programme is divided into four components:
- Supporting central government institutions to help them prepare for decentralised energy service delivery
- Supporting AEPC in establishing an outreach structure so that they are enabled to implement support programmes in collaboration with local and central government structures
- Promoting local energy service delivery through effective institutional engagement with local governments, civil society, the private and banking sector
- Involving disadvantaged groups (DAGs) and women to ensure their engagement in the energy service delivery as decision maker, implementers and beneficiaries
Purpose and rationale of the assignment
Nepal's Constitution of 2015 has incorporated a federal system as the cornerstone of Nepal's political governance system. According to the new constitution, there are 3 levels of governments i.e. i) Federal, ii) Provincial, and iii) Local Level. There will be a paradigm shift in how small-scale RE will be promoted and developed through local governments. Constitutionally the local governments are expected to be directly engaged in planning and implementation of RE promotion. GIZ/RERA will support AEPC in developing tools and standard processes for provincial/local level to access the RE baseline, energy planning and undertake RE resources mapping by formulating policy and regulations.
Furthermore, the Constitution states that federal, provincial and local levels can enact laws, prepare annual budgets, make decisions, formulate and implement policies and plans within its areas of authority. In the federalized context; elected representatives of local level governments (municipalities and rural municipalities), private sectors and civil society are key players to scale-up small-scale renewable energy technologies (RETs) supply and quality services using sustainable delivery models at local level in Federal Nepal
Badikedar and Chure Rural Municipality are the partner Municipalities of RERA programme in Sudur Paschim Province. RERA is working extensively in close collaborations with both rural municipalities for the promotion of RE technology. RERA is supporting these rural municipalities technically for Municipal Energy Plan (MEP), orientation, awareness, demand creation, budgeting, planning, and implementation of activities at the field level.
Objective and Scope of service/works
The main objective of this assignment is to coordinate, facilitate and work closely with elected representatives and staff of Badikedar Dagodakedar, Bitthadchir and Kedarsue and Chure Rural Municipality to implement field level RE activities in these municipalities. The specific objectives of the assignment are as follows:
- Work with five rural municipalities to provide technical support for RERA activities
- Provide overall guidance to municipalities’, energy development sub-committee
- Conduct meetings with partner municipalities, AEPC/RERA/PIU team
- Support AEPC, GIZ, SNV, PIU Dhangadhi team for field level activities
The consultant will be based in one of the two partner Rural Municipalities with frequent visits to different wards of all five municipalities. Consultant will support and work in close collaboration with all five municipalities for field level activities. Consultant will coordinate with PIU RERA and provide update report on regular basis
The consultants will facilitate two partner municipalities. The task of the assignment shall include, but are not limited to the following:
- Collection/gathering of field level information for implementation of RERA.
- Coordinate with the partner municipalities, energy related organization, line agencies, private sectors and other stakeholders
- Visit and interact regularly with partner municipalities, energy sub-committee, Infrastructure Development Committee, Executive Committee, chairperson/vice chairperson, ward chairperson of both municipalities
- Implement field level activities as per Operation Plan of RERA in close collaboration with PIU Dhangadhi, GIZ/SNV and AEPC
- Collect information from field and support municipalities to prepare MEP.
- Support AEPC/GIZ/SNV/PIU team for field visit and field level activities
- Conduct meetings, workshops, orientation, and awareness programmes
- Conduct regular discussion at municipalities and ward level,
- Support municipalities to generate demand for RETs, productive use of energy (PUE) and identification of projects
- Support municipalities for budgeting and planning for energy related projects
- Work with potential technology providers and financial institutions and mobilize them for delivering services in the rural municipalities
- Promote productive end uses of energy in all five rural municipalities
- Prepare quarterly progress reports
- Minimum Bachelor’s (or equivalent) in Engineering, Management, Environment Science, Arts, Sociology, Rural Development or any other related field, 5 years of working experience in the development sector
- Experience in RE sector (3 years) with focus on local level planning, periodic plan preparation, community mobilization, project implementation
- Experience in field studies, implementation and promotion at local level
- Extensive experience in data collection, and desk study
- Experience RETs promotion in rural areas for energy access and productive use of RETs promotion through innovative business model
- Working experience with AEPC funded project will be an advantage, working experience with NGOs, private sector and business model to promote energy access and productive use
- Good command in oral in both Nepali and English languages
Contract Type: Consultancy Contract (180 working days)
Duty Station : Sudur Paschim Pradesh (Province 7)
Expected Start Date : As soon as possible
No. of required position : 2
Period of Performance: up to 18 September 2019
How to Apply: How to Apply: If you are interested, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and motivation letter at following link by 25 November 2018.
Junior Field Consultant (Chure and Badikedar): http://smrtr.io/PyMj
Junior Field Consultant ((Dagodakedar, Bitthadchir and Kedarsue) : http://smrtr.io/PvHC
ONLY SHORTLIST CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
For more information on SNV, please refer to our website: www.snv.org