Finance and Operations Lead
Detailed Job description / requirements:
Nepal Renewable Energy Programme (NREP)
Finance and Operations Lead
Funded by the United Kingdom Department for international Development (DFID), the Nepal Renewable Energy Programme (NREP) seeks to support the Government of Nepal, Ministry of Energy Water Resources and Irrigation, Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (AEPC) to lead and manage a new National Renewable Energy Framework (NREF) for the renewable energy sector.
In February 2019, DFID contracted DAI Europe and consortium partner Winrock International to deliver this programme which aims to promote planning and investment towards a low carbon development path through renewable energy resulting in growth, poverty reduction and climate smart development in Nepal. NREP is designed to deliver a series of programme activities in line with four objectives:
- Build the capacity of Government of Nepal to lead and manage the NREF. The Alternative Energy Promotion Centre (AEPC) will be the main entry point but other relevant institutions may also be considered (such as AEPC provincial offices, Ministry of Energy, Water Resources and Irrigation and the Nepal Electricity Authority).
- Strengthen the capacity of the Central Renewable Energy Fund (CREF) to enable it to manage and disburse subsidy, credit and challenge fund on renewable energy including climate finance. An initial £500k of DFID funds are available to set up a Renewable Energy Challenge Fund (RECF) with a further potential £8.8m contribution.
- Deliver programmatic activities related to the demand and supply of RE, finance, governance and capacity development to strengthen the RE sector
- Generate and share knowledge and research in relation to Nepal’s RE sector and facilitate knowledge sharing and learning.
Principles of engagement
The NREP Team brings together experts from the primary partners, DAI Europe and Winrock International, and resource partners including PEI and SP-UK. The NREP Team operates as one team with common operating procedures across all partners. Whilst the Finance and Operations Lead will report contractually to DAI Europe, s/he will be required to work in a collective and collaborative manner with members of the NREP Team contracted by other partners. On all contractual matters s/he must report to DAI’s appointed Project Director and Project Manager.
Scope of Work
The Finance and Operations Lead (FOL) will lead the Finance and Operations team to ensure efficient management of the operational aspects of the programme, as well as overall compliance with contractual requirements, DAI policies, DFID regulations and local law. S/he will ensure the establishment of successful financial, operational, human resources and administrative systems in order to mitigate the core risks on the programme and ensure smooth implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
A. Finance Management
- Manage, update, and enforce the NREP finance procedures which provide strong financial systems for effective and efficient programme delivery in line with donor requirements.
- Ensure the NREP Team, and more specifically the Finance staff, are fully conversant with these procedures.
Budget and cash flow
- Work with the Team Leader on the review and analysis of budget estimates.
- Monitor project resources to ensure timely transfer and utilisation of funds.
- Monitor and minimize project non-billable costs.
- Understand the contracting model and principles to ensure project budgets are effectively managed.
- Investigate and identify new way of achieving project efficiencies and value for money.
- Oversee the daily financial operations of the project.
B. Operations Management
Administration and Logistics
- Participate in the development and maintenance of project work plans and monitor progress against milestones agreed with DFID.
- Manage, update, and enforce strong administration procedures on business risk management, health and safety, DAI policy, office safety and security, journey management, business continuity plan, Information Technology policy, communication policy, record keeping and filing policies.
- Coordinate and facilitate the efficient, smooth, effective and donor-compliant procurement procedures for acquiring goods and services.
- Ensure the NREP Team are fully conversant with these procedures.
Human Resources (HR)
- Update and maintain the HR Manual which contains personnel policies to ensure compliance with local labour law, tax law, and with DFID and DAI regulations and requirements.
- Supervises strong personnel management systems, coordinates fair recruitment process, staff contracting, compensation package, clear performance appraisal and personal development in order to maintain high performance and retention.
Lines of Reporting
The Finance and Operations Lead will report directly to NREP Team Leader and liaise closely with DAI Project Manager and Project Finance Officer. S/he directly line manages the Operations team of NREP composed of three people.
The work location will be at NREP Office in Kathmandu. Occasional travels to other provinces may also be required.
Required Qualifications for applicants
- This position requires at least Master’s Degree holder in Business, Finance, Management, Administration or equivalent studies.
- At least 15 years of working experience in finance and operations with at least 3 years with equivalent responsibilities.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to perform a wide range of duties.
- Good interpersonal skills and team spirit.
- Able to work confidently in an international environment.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office tools.
- Good understanding of QuickBooks accounting software.
If you believe you possess these skills and you are interested in taking up this challenging position within a team of skills professionals, please send us your application before the 13th August 2019 at 9 AM local time to email@example.com. The subject of your email has to be “FOL Application”.
In your email you will explain:
- your motivation, outlining why you believe you would be the perfect fit for this job,
- the contact details of three recent references that could contact if you were selected,
- what would be your earliest starting date if you were selected,
- what would be your expecting compensation package.
Please ensure you join the following attachments to your email:
- your updated Curriculum Vitae;
- a copy of your key relevant educational degrees;
- copies of three related working certificates.
Even though we appreciate your interest in DAI, Winrock and NREP work, we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.
DAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind.
This job advert does not constitute a job description.