Detailed Job Description / Requirements:
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
The CIMMYT is seeking an experienced professional to support Nepal Seed and Fertilizer (NSAF) project funded by USAID. The project aim is to increase food productivity of cereal based cropping systems including high value crops via formulating site-specific fertilizer recommendations, efficient fertilizer application technology identification and applied and enhancing capacity of stakeholders in seed and fertilizer value chains. Details of position, location and TOR for the position is below and can be found at www.jobsnepal.com.
Position title: Assistant Research Associate II
Reference No: N18112
Duty station: Kathmandu
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Apply research techniques and procedures of high complexity and specialization in a specific part of the overall project that has been assigned.
- Assist in the supervision of duties assigned to support staff working in the unit, to ensure the techniques are performed or the crops are developed in compliance with established quality standards.
- Participate in tasks that occur during the different stages of the crop cycle assigned to the Unit.
- Develop a record and report the tasks performed and the results achieved in the project that has been assigned.
- Report to your immediate supervisor any abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned, for immediate correction.
- Collaborate in field, greenhouse and laboratory tasks as assigned, in order to help achieve the objectives of the unit.
- Contribute to the training and updating of knowledge and research techniques to the rest of the staff working in the unit, and keep updated on new research
- Assist in taking care of scientists and visitors to the unit.
- Attend working visits to other CIMMYT field trials and/or research stations.
- Keep a check on inventories of products and materials used and request a replacement when required.
- Verify that equipment and facilities are in good operating condition and report any maintenance needed.
- Perform support activities that are required in the unit, according to the instructions of your manager.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor degree in biological sciences, chemistry, agronomy or equivalent.
- Thorough knowledge of the field of work or specialized equipment.
- Basic knowledge of administrative and/or operating protocols and procedures of research support function.
- Basic Supervisory skills and experience.
- The position requires a minimum work experience of 4 years / 9 field seasons - Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices and procedures within a discipline.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SKILLS NEEDED
- Sufficient competency to use the standard Windows-based software for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and email used at CIMMYT with occasional assistance.
- Ability to effectively use corporate systems and other specialized applications.(User)
- Basic skills in Windows Operating System and LAN.
- Simple use of Complex systems.
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter to Recruit-Nepal@cgiar.org no later than Friday, 23 March 2018.
Please include position and reference number in the subject of your email.
Incomplete applications (without CV and cover letter) will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
|Please check vacancy details.|
|Please check vacancy details|
|06 Mar, 18|
|23 Mar, 18|