WASH Coordinator (Engineering)
Detailed Job description / requirements:
WASH Coordinator (Engineering)
Water Sanitation and Hygiene Finance (WASH-FIN) Program, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tetra Tech International Development Services (http://www.tetratech.com/intdev) headquartered in Arlington, VA is currently accepting expressions of interest from qualified WASH Coordinator (Engineering) candidates for the USAID-funded Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Finance (WASH-FIN) program in Nepal.
WASH-FIN is monitoring progress of the Water Supply and Sanitation Act in the federal parliament. The Act will demark the scope for devolved WASH service delivery under three tiers of Nepalese government (federal, provincial, municipal). Once endorsed, various policies, guidelines and other necessary institutional documents will be required at all levels of government. WASH-FIN has also been waiting for the approval of the Sector Development Plan (SDP) which is the apex sector planning document. The finalization of national legislation, plans, and policies is crucial for the effective and efficient coordination of investment, resource mobilization, and implementation of water supply and sanitation projects across the country at federal, provincial, and municipal levels.
WASH-FIN/Nepal engages broadly on improving the enabling environment for the local government and WASH service providers in Nepal and specifically in developing viable institutional and service delivery models. Sound technical approaches are a critical consideration in these models and ensuring this will require staff resources as well as close technical coordination and cooperation with partners, government, development partners, and other stakeholders.
The main objective of the WASH-FIN Nepal activity is to improve WASH sector financing and service delivery through the establishment of commercially viable institutional frameworks and models at the local/municipal level. WASH-FIN helps utilities become commercially sustainable through support for business plans, cost-reflective tariff analysis and development of efficiency and operational improvement programs.
The objective of the WASH Coordinator is to contribute to the Nepal team for the implementation of WASH-FIN Nepal activity by providing field-level technical inputs and coordination for water supply (utilities) and sanitation (fecal sludge management/fecal sludge treatment plants) as per the defined workplan and to attend to other project demands as identified. The Technical Coordinator will work directly under WASH Technical Specialist in landscaping water supply systems and off-site sanitation facilities along with DWSSM. The WASH Coordinator will report to WASH Technical Specialist and support Country Team Leader in implementing the project.
The role of WASH coordinator is monitored and supervised by WASH Technical Specialist; however, Country Team Leader will approve his/her performance appraisal in coordination with WASH Technical Specialist).
Main responsibilities and tasks:
- Support municipal and other local service providers in their preparation of technical designs and estimating of water supply system and fecal sludge treatment plant capacity and service levels;
- Work with WASH Technical Specialist for designing and implementing landscape study of fecal sludge management in DWSSM identified municipalities;
- Provide technical support to implement projects identified in water supply and sanitation utilities;
- Assist in development of analytical and other tools to monitor performance of water supply and sanitation service utilities;
- Travel frequently to locations within or related to the WASH-FIN project scope (the bulk of travel being within Nepal);
- Assist in preparing several technical specifications, design, demand, and cost estimation for possible interventions that WASH-FIN plans with its partners;
- Provide technical assistance to implement the selected FSM institutional and financial model at the municipal or service providers level;
- Assist WASH Technical Specialist in implementing standards for fecal sludge treatment plants;
- Provide technical inputs in assessing water supply schemes, and distribution systems in chosen towns;
- Support in developing monitoring tools for interventions like reducing Non-revenue water in water supply projects;
- Assist WASH-FIN team to develop materials for workshops and knowledge sharing and conduct/participate in workshops with WASH stakeholders;
- Assist WASH Technical Specialist to prepare reports in concerned tasks;
- Coordinate activities of individual consultants or sub-contractors as directed;
- Carry out other specific duties and tasks to support Country Team Leader.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering (BE) with at least three years of relevant work experience in WASH sector, preferably in preparing design, cost estimation, and Bill of Quantity (BoQ) preparation for construction projects;
- A Masters’ Degree in Civil Engineering with at least one year of relevant experience in designing, managing and operationalizing water supply and sanitation services or related sector programs; specialization in Sanitary Engineering highly desirable;
- Strong familiarity with Auto CAD system or other computer-aided design software for water and sanitation infrastructure;
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills are required;
- Familiarity with Nepal’s WASH sector;
- Team player, comfortable engaging directly with clients and program partners;
- Excellent command of English and Nepali languages is required;
- Willingness to travel for field/program area visit;
- Candidates with experience engaging with leadership in donor agencies, governments, or with clients (utilities, municipalities, etc.) is desirable;
- Prior experience in donor funded projects preferred;
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the on-line process:
- Cover Letter
- CV in reverse chronological format
* Reference List
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech’s ad posted.
Apply online at: http://bit.ly/2PeZWxQ
Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. No phone calls will be accepted. Deadline for applications is November 15, 2019.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees - 20,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.